21 - Inevitable Exhaustion

"We need to leave. Now." Dark Pit stood up from where he sat and made his way over to the window, "If we go now-" He stumbled and put and hand on his right temple.

"Dark!" I stood up; forgetting my own tiredness and steadied him, "You're exhausted. Let's get some rest tonight and regain our strength," I could tell he was going to retaliate but I stopped him, "For me. Please..."

I watched his gaze soften as he sighed, "Fine. But the longer we stay, the more danger we're in. We can't eat the flowers so we'll have to find other sources of food before we starve while making it seem like we're still in a trance." Dark Pit said with a stern tone making me relax.

"That's the Dark Pit I know."

-

The next day I woke up feeling refreshed and quickly went to the window to look for Louhi. She's my main concern right now as she seems to be the ring leader of this city as far as i'm aware.

After just seconds of searching, I heard Dark Pit behind me grunt, "Good! You're awake..." I turned to him only to see that he looked worse than before, "Oh my- Are you ok?!" I kneeled next to him and put and hand on his shoulder.

"Honestly... I don't think I am." He looked at me and I could tell he was really struggling, "I've been thinking for the last month and," He paused as if he was unsure, "I think- No. I'm sure my life is connected to Pits. Something must have happened to him."

My eyes grew wide and hoped he wasn't serious but the look he had in his eyes was enough to know, "You don't mean he's..." I could feel my voice quiver.

"No. If he was, then I would have disappeared or have dropped dead by now." His eyes moved to the palms of his hands, "He must have been put in some sort of sleep; a coma perhaps."

"How do you know...?" I quietly asked.

"I've been feeling my energy draining with each passing day. It's been harder to wake up each morning and right now, I don't know if i'll wake up the next time I go to sleep." My heart dropped as I could hear defeat in his tone and felt my eyes tear up, "Are you sure it's not because of the flowers?"

"Yes. This has been happening for a while now. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be wrong but," He looked back to me, "I'm entirely sure that something happened to Pit a long while ago. Now, we just need to find him and wake him up from what ever is making me like this."

"Is there anyone who can help us? How about Viridi? The goddess on nature!" I had never met her before but I knew enough to know she possessed similar flight and extraction powers similar to like how Palutena helps Pit fly.

"I'm not sure but if we're gonna find out, we need to get out of this place." He began to get up and I helped him get to the door.

"We just need to walk out like we know what we're doing!" I said like it was nothing, "If they try to stop us, we turn around and find another way out. Do you think you can act as though you're ok? Just for a moment?"

"I think i'll manage."

I helped Dark Pit most of the way to the large gate aka our only clear exit. We took a quick detour to grab our gear and I quickly shoved it all into one bag that was now strapped over my shoulder. I hid the bag underneath one of my wings so it wasn't noticeable.

As we got closer I noticed Dark Pit began rubbing his eyes with the more stares we got from the maids and butlers. Most likely to hide his dark circles. He pulled his arm away and straightened his posture. I still held onto his hand though.

As soon as we reached the gate I heard the same, deafening, high pitched voice of a 'friendly' Louhi that made both of us jump in our skin.

"(Y/n)! Dark Pit! Where are you going?!" She shouted from a distance attracting the attention of many people.

"U-um well-" Being put on the spot really made me blank, "Me and Dark Pit wanted to go find some fresh Lotus fruit trees! Yeah they're just too good to eat in small portions!" I laughed trying to hide my fear.

"We saw a couple trees outside the city before we arrived and wanted to go check them out." Dark Pit added in an upbeat tone.

"Oh isn't that lovely! I didn't know there were lotus trees outside of the city!" Louhi made direct and intense eye contact with me and wouldn't break it. Now I was sweating bullets. If they find out we know, who knows what they'll do. Dark Pit can barely even stand right now so if we get in a fight, either I surrender or put him in danger.

"We didn't either until we saw the fruits in here!" I kept laughing, "We'll be going now! I'll see you later tonight?"

"I guess so!" Her smile grew which I didn't think was possible but I don't think i've ever hurried away from someone so fast. This seems a little too easy... Or... Maybe their satisfied with how long we were here? Perhaps they've already accomplished a goal involving us?

Once outside the gate, I helped Dark Pit stay on his feet again until we were a good ways away from the city. As soon as we were out of sight though, Dark Pit collapsed.

"...I... Don't think I can continue... From here..." He groggily said as I could see his eyelids weighing down. I felt my heart drop, "W-what will I do if you..." I couldn't even finish my sentence before I began sobbing.

"Don't worry..." A smile graced his face, "I'll be fine... As long as Pits ok... Find Viridi she can help you..." He closed his eyes and I could feel him relax.

"I will find Pit and get you out of this. I promise you that." I said determined before holding one of his hands, "I'll be here when you wake up."

Just as I finished my sentence, I could tell he was out cold. His breathing slowed and his expression was calm. I choked on my words knowing I would have to continue without him, "Goodnight Dark Pit."

-

I sat there with him in my arms quietly trying not to cry, failing and crying anyway, trying to come up with a plan. Now I have to save Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena including all of skyworld...

"Oh I thought he would never fall asleep!" Someone spoke behind me. Someone I didn't recognize until I saw her. Louhi.

"W-What do you want?" I demanded anxiously. Her happy carefree smile was gone and was replaced by a devilish grin. She radiated a hostile aura and I held Dark Pit closer to my chest, using my wings as a slight shield.

"Oh nothing..." Her voice suddenly grew much deeper to the point of sounding like a man's.

"I don't think we have met yet," The person speaking through Louhi bowed, "You don't know who I am but I know who you are (Y/n)."

"Who are you?! What's going on?!" I gently laid Dark Pits head down from my lap and stood up, readying to fight.

"Oh no need to worry about a fight. The time will come when we face off," Louhi gave a wicked smile that sent chills down my spine, "Unless you can't free Palutena or Pit from Chaos Kin."

"What... Who's Chaos Kin?!" I shouted again. Why won't anyone tell me who that is?!

"Oh you'll see... Good-luck..." The mysterious voice said before Louhi body collapsed, "Wait! No! I need answers!"

Now things were even more confusing.

"Damnit!" I kicked my foot against the dirt, "Why won't anyone give me answers!"

-

A/N - ok so for the part where Dark Pit finally fell into his coma and youre crying over him, I was imagining it as the scene from Disney's Tangled when (SPOILER) Flynn dies and Rapunzel is holding him while crying (and singing but absolutely not i'm not doing that) and it's super sad anywayhaveaniceday-

Also sorry this chapters shorter compared to what i normally want to do but i hope y'all like it!

ONE MORE THING- i know they got out of the city fairly easy but i just did that for suspense muahahaha