23 - Chaos in Disguise

I woke up to the sound of silence. Strange considering all that's happening with the war. I quickly got up and promptly left the building to continue my search for pit.

Walking the streets, there was no one to be found and no enemies in sight. That's definitely not right.

I found a way up the walls the surrounded the town for a better view and searched for anything. People, Underworld troops, Pit even! There was no one in sight- that was until a massive plume of smoke began to rise on the horizon.

The air had a thick overcast of clouds swiftly blowing to the north and the sky had a bright orange glow from the sun and surrounding fires.

"Kill every last one of them!" Palutenas voice suddenly boomed all around me. Malice laced her words and I saw a crowd of what I think is Centurions making their way down from the clouds to the smoke coming from a town barely visible from where I stood.

I gasped in shock hearing her words as our troops attacked the humans and couldn't seem to take action. Palutena is in the skies over there attacking humanity! I gasped again at another realization.

"Pit! He has to be there!" I felt my heart race at the thought of seeing him again. I took off into the skies and dashed over to the the village under attack.

Quickly averting Palutenas gaze, I dove into the trees below and broke out into a sprint before finding a clearing with a house and a dirt road leading into the village, "Pit!" I called out, "Are you here?!"

I wasn't expecting to find him this way but hey you never know. I took a few steps before my foot kicked something and a small girl- maybe about 5 years old ran up the road and grabbed the thing I kicked as it caught her attention.

I couldn't see it until she slid it on her finger in curiosity. Oh a ring! She had a bright smile looking at it before turning to me and running my way.

"Hello. What are you doing all alone?" I asked kindly to the little girl as she approached me. She didn't say anything though but only grabbed my hand and leading me towards the town. The ring still on her finger.

As she led me along with her tiny hand in mine, I got to see just how bad she seemed to be affected. Her hair was in two pigtails and very dirty, not unkempt but it's easy to show that it had not been washed in a while and her white dress was filthy. Her little hands and face had spots of dried mud and dirt.

"Hold on a sec. Come with me for a moment." I stopped her in her tracks before leading her to the house from before up the road. I knocked on the door but no one answered so I did what anyone would do and went in anyway. I'm such a saint.

I eventually found a room with a small child's clothes, "This must be your room. At least I hope." I spoke to her and grabbed a clean pair of clothes, "Let go find the bath now."

I soon found the bathroom and drew the small girl a bath, "Ok I'm going to need to undress you now ok?" I told her but she seemed reluctant to take the ring off.

"I'll keep the ring safe here in my pocket ok? I'll give it back as soon as your clean and have put clothes on!" I smiled as she gave me the ring and stuck it in my pocket just like I said.

-

Once I had bathed her and dried her hair, I put her new clothes on and gave the ring back, "Here you go. Just as I promised." I saw her smile once more as she happily put the ring on.

Immediately after, she grabbed my hand yet again and led me back down the road into the town.

"Are you sure you want to come here? It's very dangerous." I asked concerned. What has this poor girl been through...