• Chapter IX •

(Y/N) — Your name

(E/C) — Eye colour

(A/S) — Animal species

(F/C) — Fur colour

(M/C) — Matching colour

    Ever since Vitaly had stepped into the arena, heavy silence settled down among the circus. He slowly reached his massive paw out towards a bottle of hair conditioner that Alex agreed to lend. His burning gaze was fixated on it as he lifted it up before opening the lid, sound echoing off the ceiling of the tent. Pouring the sticky substance onto his flame coloured fur, Vitaly tossed the thing aside, paws lifting up to smooth back the fur on the top of his head, droplets that stuck to his fur slid down the strands of his pelt before falling to the floor.

    (Y/N), along with the rest of her friends, stood behind the curtains, eyes fearfully studying Vitaly's form, looking for any signs that might give away his emotions. Her shiny (E/C) hues connected with the forest green ones, lips forming the tiniest of smiles and heart silently thrumming in her ribcage, wordlessly hoping for the best.

    Vitaly tore his sharp gaze away from the (A/S), focusing his attention on the small hoop ahead. Adrenaline rushed inside his veins, he could almost hear his heart thudding in his ears. He fetched a sigh, concentrating on his emotions before calming himself down. Even if the calm wouldn't last for long.

    "Light the hoop on fire!" Vitaly's voice was loud and clear, ringing through the stiff silence as his chest rose and fell with a deep and shuddering breath.

    With trembling flippers Stefano lighted a match, wide open eyes darting from the soon-to-be ignited hoop and Vitaly. He slowly brought a match closer to the tiny hoop, and the moment the head of a match made a contact with the metal circle, the hoop was engulfed into a bright, alluring flame. People gasped, before the silence settled back.

    Vitaly took a stance, ears laid back and green orbs focused on the captivating hoop. The fire's reflection danced in his eyes as he drew in another calming breath. His brows knitted together as he slowly prepared himself for the risky jump. The muscles of his face twitched in agonizing anxiety as the memories of the incident resurfaced in his mind.

    "You have to let go of the past . . ."

    (Y/N)'s words of comfort returned to his memory, echoing in his mind and bringing warmth into his heart.

    "You have to move on. . ."

    He closed his eyes. The voice inside pushed all the dark thoughts aside and Vitaly never felt so alive before. He released a loud, formidable growl that rumbled in his throat and chest, eyes — like razor sharp knives — laid on the flaming hoop ahead.

    He can do it. He has to do it. If not for himself, then for the circus. For (Y/N).

    He took a step back, preparing his body and mind, before he broke out into a run. His facial expression giving away the determination that surged in him.