Chapter Twenty - Night Knight

Gonta observed as Himiko came back from being out all day with Angie. She told him what she herself was told about what happened to Tenko and what Angie had said; Everything is going to work out just fine. And he agreed with that. Because Gonta would make sure that everything had turned out just fine. Ever since Tenko left, the mage--who was his dearest friend--had noticeably been quite different. And not for the better.

So once Himiko had gone up to her room for a good night's rest, he had set out on his quest. To many people, the idea of sending Gonta into the castle to rescue Tenko was far fetched. With how big he was and how "stupid" people assumed he was, it seemed like a bad plan.

Once he was out of the house, he took his time walking towards the castle. He needed to share his strength, plus, short interactions with friendly bugs along the way wouldn't hurt.

When Gonta arrived at the castle, he observed where the guards were standing and pacing. They looked dangerous. So he stood where he was and looked for the tower where Tenko was locked up. Uh oh. At the castle, there were many different towers and all with their windows closes. How would he know which was the one where Tenko was locked up?

"Hey, bud!" A bug buzzed in his ear. Most people didn't know this, and even Gonta hadn't realized it, but he was fluent in zoolingualism. Most people thought he was just good with animals, but this ability was much further beyond that. Gonta thought it was simply a normal thing since he had picked it up while growing up in the woods with wolves and other creatures. "What ya doing by the castle so late at night?"

"Oh, uh hello! I am Gonta! What your name?"

"Eh don't have one, you can just call me Bug. Me and my other bug buds come around here to eat out of the castle's trash. They have the best food! Hm! Even when it's rotting! Anyways,, what ya snooping around the castle for? You a criminal?"

"No, no, no! Gentleman not criminal. My friend is captured princess and I need to figure out how to... wait, can Gonta request Bug's help?"

"Sure, bud. What ya need?"

"Can you fit through the closings on the tower windows and come back to tell me which one has young girl, but not child young, with long, dark hair in it?"

"Sure, but~ what do I get?"

"Hmm... ah, I know! My friend at home mage! Must be something Bug wants from magic that friend can make!"

"Ohhh~~ yup! There is in fact! I got ya Gonta, stay here."

"Thank you bug!" Soon enough, the bug came back to Gonta.

"She's in the closest one furthest right."

"Uh... right?"

"The side of you I'm standing on."

"Oh! Right! Ha! Well Gonta go get her and when you see Gonta leave just tag along. Gonta hard to miss!" He smiled and although Bug couldn't physically smile back, he felt the same happiness.

"Aye! Will do! Well, go get her, bud!"

And like that, Gonta took off, avoiding guards where he could. He moved neither swiftly or sneakily. In fact, two guards saw him while he headed for the tower.

"Hey. You there," The girl spoke sternly, "What are you doing here?"

"Gonta come to save friend! Let Gonta save Tenko. Please!" He whispered and with this, the two guards' eyes feel soft.

"Its fine," The man said to the other guard who had stopped Gonta, "Okay... just remember this is the east entrance. You're getting in the castle through the east entrance." With that, the big guy stepped forward towards the tower and unlocked the door.

"Thank you!" Gonta whispered-shouted, "I will remember." Then he went inside and the two guards were left sounding.

"Nekomaru, why did you tell him this was the east entrance?" Akane asked, rubbing her head.

"Ha! If he gets caught, which I hope he doesn't since he wants to save the princess, we won't get in trouble. It'll be those assholes guarding the east entrance!"

"Ahh~! Smart!"

— — —

After a few steps, Gonta realized the woods was creaky and continued to walk slower. Then he got to her door and knocked. "Psst! Tenko! Open please!" He was being quite loud but luckily for him, the tower was to high and far from the other room for his voice to be heard. In fact, he seemed to be getting lucky the whole mission. It was weird, huh?

"Gonta?" The door finally opened and there stood the imprisoned princess. She looked a reck.

"Gonta come to save Tenko!"

She smiled, nearly crying tears of happiness, and hugged him. "Ya know Gonta, you're not a degenerate like the rest of the males! You're a... hm, what's the word?"

"OH! Gentleman?!"

"Yeah! You're a gentleman, Gonta!" At Tenko's words, it was now his turn to cry.

"T-thank you, Tenko! You are good friend! Now..." He hummed, "how we get out?"

"Huh? Have you not thought about this?"

"Heh... no? Gonta had just seemed to be getting lucky! Bug tell Gonta which tower you in and two guards from east entrance let Gonta in!"

"Oh..." Tenko started to smile, realizing what must've happened with the guards, "Now what?"

"Oh! Gonta has bag! Maybe something in there can help!" He pulled out what looked like a large blanket, "Hmmm, this is invisibility cloak..."

"Huh?! Why didn't we just use this to begin with??"

"Himiko does not want it to be used. She say invisibility magic and teleportation magic is very similar and Himiko hasn't go it exactly right. While use this, we could teleport anywhere on globe! She threw it out, but Gonta got it! No magic should be waste!"

"Anywhere?!" Tenko said in shock, "Yeah, that's real dangerous. Maybe something else-"

Just then, they heard the door main stairs down that lead into the tower shut close. Both of them froze. It sounded like whoever had entered wanted to stay quiet as they took small steps that if Tenko and Gonta weren't specifically listening for the noises, they would have been impossible to hear.

The princess's mind raced on thoughts of who it could be until she heard the person sneeze. This sneeze was loud and deep and made a verbal "achoo". Much like her father. "Shit!" She whispered to Gonta as the steps drew closer, "Ya know, just use the cloak!"

"I- okay!"

And like that, the two went under the invisibility cloak and headed for the window. And just as Himiko had warned, they were transported within a matter of seconds.

"Ah! Where is we?" Gonta asked as the two appeared in a stone wall room; It was well decorated.

"Tenko!" Called out the white haired prince that the dark haired princess had became friends with. He ran towards the two and hugged Tenko, "I was so worried about you! With all the announcements and how things have been, I surely thought you had grown too close and were affected by my bad luck! But, hey, looks like my good luck is coming through! How'd you get here?"

"Uh well, first, my name Gonta! I live with Himiko and Tenko my friend too! I come to get her out of prison and when used invisibility cloak, it malfunctioned and brought us here! Though, it is strange we get in Tenko's friend's room out of all place," Gonta hummed in calculation as he analyzed the situation.

"Ha, probably Nagito's luck," Hajime had also came into the room, "So where are you guys going from here?"

"The one place I'll always want to be... with her."