4

As I walked home that night, I stopped at the bridge I usually pass by. It was a very cold night and the closer I got to the water, the colder I was getting. Even the water was freezing at this point. Francis wasn't there so I was extremely relieved. The wind was blowing more than usual, and the cold air was beginning to make me cold. I leaned against the ledge and placed my hands on the concrete wall. The shock of losing my brother finally made me start to tear up. My throat felt tight as I was trying to hold it back but I couldn't. "I wish it were me instead...... he had so much to live for," I whispered to myself.

I looked over the ledge and slowly began to climb atop the ledge. It was a shaky start, but I was finally to make it up there. The wall had a concrete flat part at the top, so I was able to climb up and stand on top of it. I looked around and it was as if the city was in the grasp of my fingers. There was a beautiful view that slightly distracted me from my despair. I knew I wasn't going to jump, but the thought did cross my mind. I knew it would be selfish of me to do that to my brothers.... so why was I thinking of it?

"Are you going to do it?" A voice spoke. I almost nearly fell off from being startled like that. I turned to the side and saw Francis standing there. He was looking at me, shocked, and I began to glare at him. "Please leave, I'm trying to be alone right now," I glared. He began to laugh and walked over to me. "What are you going to do? Push me?" I asked.

"I'm sure you would want that.... but if you want to jump, do it. Just know that it only gets worse if you do," He spoke. My eyes widened at what he said and I stayed silent as I looked away from him. It seemed like an evil thing to say to me but for some reason, it sounded as if he was talking me out of it. It was an odd way of doing it, but I understand his approach to the situation "I'm not going to jump...... I guess the thought of it made me feel a little better," I answered. "I may not like you, but I definitely don't want to see that on my way home," Francis spoke.

I rolled my eyes at him and looked back at the water. I still felt really hopeless, but he was right; I shouldn't make things worse. I felt some tears escape my eyes and slowly fall down my cheeks. I was so sad, and I wanted this feeling to go away already. "It must have been awful," he spoke. My eyes widened, and I looked at him. "What?" I asked confused. "Whatever happened..... it must have been bad enough to set you off. I figured you were already a depressed person so I figured you would have tried to off yourself a long time ago," he began to tease.

"You are such an idiot! That's not it at all..... my.....it's none of your business," I spoke lastly. He began to shrug and hold a hand out for me to grab. "I guess it doesn't really matter, but how about this once you don't find me repulsive and let me help you down from there," he spoke. My eyes widened, and as I looked at him, I felt extremely embarrassed to the point where my cheeks felt hot. My eyes widened at what he said, and I looked at his facial features. They were soft and not annoyed for once, he was genuine, and I was debating on trusting him for some reason.

I looked down at his hand and breathed out annoyed. "Fine then," I spoke softly. The wind began to blow against me, and I slowly turned my body in order to grab his hand. However, there was a crack under my foot, and suddenly, I began to fall back slowly. "Oh, shit" I yelled, trying to grab his hand. However, I wasn't able to do that in time.

As I fell back, the ledge was getting farther by the second until I finally hit the water. It hurt like hell, and I didn't get enough time to catch my breath. I had little breath left, and I didn't know how to swim. I was flinging my arms around to try and get back to the top, but it was getting difficult and difficult.

The moonlight began to shine through the water, and I could see blood floating out of my nose. It made me feel sleepy, and I closed my eyes. The coldness of the water began to fade away, and all I felt was my heart slowly beating. My body stopped moving around, and I just let the water surround me.

It had gotten to a point where it felt as if I had left my body. That I was somehow watching it from outside of myself did not make sense, but it felt that way. I couldn't see no one and nothing besides myself. I looked lonely and tired, and I knew exactly what this was. I'm such an idiot! Why did I get on that ledge?! And Francis! He shouldn't have seen that despite being someone I dislike. He didn't seem all too bad for wanting to help me.

I've never regretted something so much in my life. If this is what it feels like to die slowly then maybe I deserve every part of my outcome. In an accident too! Francis, I just don't care what happens to me and probably left without telling anyone. I'll just be a lonely, lost body forever. Suddenly my body became numb, and everything black.