8

Once I was back at my work, the first day back seemed so weird. I would keep catching Francis staring at me once in a while and once I'd make eye contact with him, I would stick my tongue at him. I looked at Alfred and he was also staring at me and it made me confused. "Hey, Arthur! How are you doing?" He asked. I lifted an eyebrow to look at him and I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not too sure, I guess I will learn to live with my brother not being here anymore," I smiled.

He looked at me sadly and placed a hand on my shoulder "maybe we should go out sometime.... it will help you take your mind off of everything," he spoke. I gave him a small smile and nodded "sure, I'll let you know when I'm free," I spoke. He seemed so happy that I said that and began writing down his number. "Here is my contact so we can do something," he answered. I nodded at him and accepted the number.

Once he left, I caught sight of Francis again and stood up from my desk. I looked down and immediately started to fast walk towards him. "What's the hurry? Is it time for tea?" He teased. I looked at him and glared harshly. "Why do you keep staring at me?" I whispered to him. He pretended to be hurt at what I said and shook his head. "Are you always this conceited? Who wants to be looking at a grumpy guy with caterpillar eyebrows?" He whispered back. "What is wrong with you?" I whispered back and nudged him slightly.

"Don't nudge me; I'll nudge you," he whispered nudging me. "Don't do that," I whispered.
"What? This?"
"Yes, don't do that."
"This?" He whispered, nudging me. It had gotten to a point where we both started to nudge each other. "Stop," I whispered to him, but I'm sure by now people in the office could see us nudging each other. "Just stop," I spoke. We both did but we continued to glare at each other.

"If you have to know, I was just a little worried about you," he snapped. I looked at him with a confused look and spoke "Why?" He rolled his eyes at me and shrugged. "I'm not sure... I guess I'm still serious about calling a truce between us," he laughed nervously.

"Oh really? You haven't been a good sport," I spoke. I looked him in his eyes, and he was still close enough for me to look at the color and shape of his eyes. They were warm blue and stared into my soul. "I know, but I guess after what happened..... I feel that it's only right to try and make things better.... life is short after all," he mentioned. My face softened, and I finally looked away from his eyes. "Yes... I know exactly what you mean."

I looked back at him and smiled nervously. "It's so fun making fun of you though," I began to laugh. Francis moved some hair out of his face and shrugged. "You are a strange man," he spoke. I began to laugh at what he said, and we stood there awkwardly for a second. This is the most we have ever gotten along... I don't know how to feel about it.

"I suppose I should get back to work?" I suggested, and he nodded. "Oh wait!" He said suddenly. I turned back to him to hear what he has to say, and he looked a little nervous. "How is Alfred doing?" He asked suddenly. "Good; why do you ask?" I asked, confused.

He shrugged slightly and began to scratch the back of his head. "Just wondering... I know he was eager to spend time with you outside of work. I just wondered if he went through with it," he laughed slightly. I lifted a brow, confused, and turned my whole body to face him. "And if he did?" I asked. He was acting strange! Either he was bothered by it, or I don't know him well enough to have seen these reactions coming from Francis.

The unawareness kind of just made me want to see more of it. I wanted to know what he was thinking about right now. "Oh! Nothing.... just curious," he laughed nervously. I nodded my head at him and placed a finger on my chin, tapping it slightly. "Curiosity killed the cat, you know," I pointed out. His eyes widened, and he stared at me with a softer face. It always seemed sweet and caring. "Satisfaction brought it back," he smiled.

I froze at his sudden remark and turned away from him. "It's none of your business who I spend time with outside of work," I whispered to him. I began to walk away from him, not turning back. It was bizarre, the way he was acting right now.

I looked back at him and saw he was still staring at me. He was weird! However, I can't stop thinking about the night he saved me. Maybe the fear of what happened made something click in him. As if he didn't want bad relationships with anyone because death is around the corner.

I keep debating whether to try and be nicer to him or not, but what would I even do? Are Francis and I being friends? Don't get me started on that thought!

Suddenly picturing Francis and me running through a field of flowers, holding hands, and overly happy with each other did not sit well with me.

The thought made me sick, and the idea of us being good friends was scary. We were annoyed with each other! It could not work out! Right? We would just end up fighting for no reason. God!! Maybe I should think about this more. The pros and cons of being friends with him! Yes! That will work! I'll make a list of the pros and cons!!