Chapter 3

༻༺━━━⁎∗

༻༺━━━⁎.*.⁎━━━༻༺

It didn't take long for Rowan to get home. She rushed into the house and immediately went looking for answers. There had to be something there that could shed some light on who she was.

Rowan walks into the study, noticing a wooden chest in the corner of the room sealed shut with a lock. For some reason she felt drawn to it, it was as if some part of her knew something that she didn't and her curiosity couldn't help but get the better of her. She inches closer and closer. The anticipation building within her wanting to find some sort of answers to her growing pile of questions.

She hooked her hand around the ancient-looking lock to see if she could find a way to bust it open. But she is suddenly embraced by a warmth running through her veins, a tingling sensation grew from fingertips and flowed through her. She hadn't realized her eyes were closed as she was so absorbed in the euphoric sensation that had her in a trance-like state.

Opening her eyes she was met by a red glow radiating from her hand. She was hypnotized by the sight in front of her, the glow began the fade and the lock fell to the floor. "What the bloody hell just happened" Rowan mumbles to herself.

Her trail of thought was interrupted by the sound of knocking coming from the front door. She opened the front door to be met by Bonnie Bennett- the only one who knew her secret. Bonnie steps through the threshold and  Rowan motions for the girl to follow her to where she was a moment ago.

They entered the office and Rowan gestured towards the wooden chest. Bonnie looked back at her friend confused. "What am I supposed to be looking at?" She asks breaking the silence. "This will hopefully hold some answers." She sighs inching closer as she revisited the idea of what she had just witnessed only minutes ago while Bonnie stood back watching intently at her friend's hesitance.

Rowan was itching to tell Bonnie what had just occurred about 5 minutes ago, but Bonnie hadn't yet to be exposed to the supernatural. So until then, Rowan was going to have to limit her words and be careful of what she said to the Bennett witch until the truth had unfolded.

Rowan looked at the chest before turning her head back in her friend's direction to see her standing with her arms folded watching back at her. Bonnie had slightly distanced herself unsure if she should be there to witness what was inside the Matthews's family chest or if she should just leave the room and let the girl have a moment to herself. Rowan motioned for her friend to come closer, she didn't want to be alone anymore she had had enough alone time for the last year to last a lifetime and at the present moment in time, she needed someone by her side.

She grew the courage to open the chest but unlike the last time, there was no red glow. Lifting the lid the first thing that came to sight was a photo- of her parents. Her mother cradled a young Rowan in her arms looking down at her daughter with love, as her father hung his arm around his wife with a huge smile spread across his face looking directly at the camera. Tears came to the young girl's eyes and Bonnie wrapped her arm around her for support. Rowan hadn't dared to look at a photo of her parents since their passing as all it did was bring her to tears. She took a deep breath calming herself and set it to the side to look at what other things were contained in there.