Chapter 11

Bonnie and Elena sat across from each other at their usual booth in the Mystic Grill. The soft hum of conversations and clinking glasses filled the air as they discussed the recent news that had come to light.

As the girls conversed they hadn't noticed, the young brunette walking into the grill. Rowan looked around trying to find her friends.

"I can't believe that you're adopted."

"Well, it seems like I have impeccable timing. What the hell did I miss." Rowan chimed looking between Bonnie and Elena as she slid into the seat next to Bonnie,

"Oh not much, just that Elena's adopted," Bonnie says and Elena nods offering a tight-lipped smile.

"Yeah, I heard that- still processing." Rowan quips, her eyes darting between her two friends.

"I was awol for what, like a day, how the hell am I already out of the loop." Rowan groans, drawing two amused smiles from Bonnie and Elena.

"It's not something I saw coming. And it gets weirder. I looked at my birth certificate. It lists Miranda and Grayson Gilbert as my birth parents. None of it makes any sense."

"You should probably ask Jenna Elena. She is your aunt, she'll be able to tell you what you want to know." Rowan suggests.

Bonnie nods, "The Elena I know would always want the real truth, good or bad."

"I mean how bad could it be?" Bonnie shrugs "You just found out your boyfriend is a vampire, so unless your birthparents are aliens..."

"She's not wrong," Rowan chimed in, a smile forming on her lips, appreciating Bonnie's sense of humour.

"Just don't be too harsh on Jenna, when the conversation does come up Elena. I know she means well."

Elena had a thoughtful look on her face as she took in Rowan's words, but she nodded in acknowledgement, sending her a small smile.

"Ah, ok, look, I have to go to the store. My outfit for the dance is severely lacking accessories." Elena says as she starts gathering her things.

"Ok, I'll pay the bill," Bonnie says before saying their goodbyes, and then Elena makes her way out of the building.

Bonnie glanced at Rowan for a moment as she the girl stole a fry from her plate, sending her a playful smile.

"You already knew didn't you?" Bonnie asked knowingly, but there was a hint of curiosity in her eyes.

"Yup," Rowan admitted popping another fry into her mouth.

"Is there anything you would like to add?" Bonnie inquired, tilting her head with a curious smile.

"Just that you shouldn't turn around," Rowan said, her expression becoming more serious.

"What why?" Bonnie turns her head only to be met by the dark-headed Salvatore.

"That's why," Rowan replied, glancing at Damon with a hint of annoyance.

Bonnie sent a glare at Rowan, who mouthed a "sorry" in response.

"What do you want from me?" Bonnie questioned Damon, her tone cautious after all the past encounters.

"I think we need a fresh start."  Damon began, his eyes briefly flickering to Rowan before focusing on Bonnie.

"You tried to kill me," Bonnie stated bluntly, her gaze unwavering as she held her ground.

"But I didn't, and if I wanted to, I would have. Does that not count for anything?" Rowan shook her head at Damon's attempt to reason with Bonnie.