Chapter 10

Rowan was flicking through one of the grimoires she had discovered among her mother's belongings. Stefan and herself had dropped the Bennett witch off with her Grandmother an hour before and were now sitting in the Matthew girl's house, or in Stefan's case, being a bother as she tried to concentrate on the grimoire in front of her.

"No touching" Rowan swats Stefan's hand away. She wasn't really sure what she was looking for she just had the feeling that she would know it when she saw it.  She stopped for a second and looked up at the youngest Salvatore.

"Do you have Elena's necklace?" Stefan nods pulling the piece of jewellery out of his pocket.

"I may not be able to track her down, but I can make sure that she is ok." Stefan nods, but Rowan could clearly see the relief on his face.

As the cold metal of the necklace touched her palm, her eyes almost fell shut immediately. Her grasp tighten around the piece of jewellery before letting her body relax as she exhaled. Her open mind drifted from reality as images of a carefree Elena dancing around the bar was shown to her. A smile formed on her lips at the sight and her eyes opened to see Stefan.

"She's fine Stefan." Rowan sighs seeing the unsure look on the vampire's face, "She is at a bar, having the time of her life from the looks of it."

"She deserves the break, Stefan. She'll be back by tomorrow and then you can talk to her and clear the air."

The Salvatore nods in acknowledgement, "Thanks, Rowan." The vampire turns to head out the door but Rowan speaks up.

"And Stefan, I know you might not think it but Elena is safe with Damon. I've seen it, he wouldn't hurt her." He didn't turn but Rowan could tell he was listening, there was a small nod along with a sigh before exiting the room.

...

Rowan once again sat in her study, her legs crossed as her hand traced over the markings on the chest.

A thoughtful look painted her features as she thought over her encounter with Emily Bennett. 'you can see past the living, and see those among the other side'

The conversation had stuck with Rowan and it had been playing over and over in her mind. She was trying to make sense of it all in her head.

Part werewolf, and part siphoner that can see the dead. She definitely didn't see that one coming.

How did the power even work?

"What's on your mind dear?" a voice spoke up from behind Rowan startling her.

Rowan quickly turns round to find a woman with greyish hair smiling down at her.

Rowan stares at the woman in shock. "Nana?" the girl shakes her head confused as she observed the woman taking in every detail of her.

"I don't look that different, do I?" the woman Diana chuckled stepping closer to her granddaughter.

"W-what are you doing here? How are you here?" Rowan stumbled in her words, but Diana gave her granddaughter a look.

"Right, I can see the dead now." She Breathes out while shaking her head at herself. it just didn't seem real to her. She stood taking in the woman, still in shock, and she couldn't help but question herself if this was all in her head.

"Yes, you can." Diana sighs walking around the desk to sit at its chair.

Rowan gets to her feet, her eyes not falling off the woman.