Chapter 1

"Are you tired?" 

"There's never a day where I'm not. Your perceptive prowess is certainly leaving me filled ambiguous, Amell."

If Jean Gunnhildr didn't monitor the outer perimeter of Mondstadt's walls, cater to the people's concerns, or go on short expeditions, she would be sitting inside her office and organizing every single file to the last.

The array of books that were stacked in alphabetical order made up the walls of her quarters. Somewhere in those compilations, stories of her bravery and data were stored as accolades, collecting dust if she didn't clean them all on schedule. Her desk, as does the rest of her belongings in this room also contained important items. A file holder, several books that were in need of being updated, and a standstill of the globe. 

It was clear as crystal she couldn't afford to rest if her dream allowed only sparse a time for leisure.  

Realizing she had been a little rude to her personal escort, Jean inhaled air of composure before apologizing as best as she could. Jean tries her best in everything with an open mind. 

"Forgive me, my words were no less crass." 

Amell, her escort who had taken the role for a few months now shook his head politely. He had to admit that the Acting Grand Master's training regimen and daily schedule of activities could never be done within a day. Summarily, his boss was swamped in necessities that required constant attention. She wouldn't just look after herself but also the welfare of everybody. 

Out of everyone Amell knew in his life, Jean was the most selfless person he knew and there weren't any ulterior motives behind it. Behind that unchanging exhaustion stood a meticulous and hardworking woman who condemned laziness as a sin. 

But there was a good reason someone like Amell had been hired when he first set foot into the city of freedom. The Knights of Favonius's current Grand Master was suffering from severe headaches lately and that often spoke trouble in this level. Various candidates were energized to fulfill the criteria the Grand Master wanted for a well-informed escort. 

Sadly, they had all been the same, only crazy fanatics who wanted nothing more than to get in close proximity with their idol. At least she knew a degree of pain her little sister suffers through when their admirers go too far. Amell, being a wielder of an Electro vision was capable enough to protect her along with his helpful suggestions. 

Originally, Amell had been looking for a place to stay and a stable job but after witnessing the city's Grand Master in shambles and in dire need of someone who could assist her in her daily duties, he wasted no time in hurrying. He needed the Mora too.  

It was love at first sight too, perhaps that was the strongest reason out of all of them. Now that he knew her from the months they shared, he was filled with more joy in the fact he decided to like her. 

His vision came at the cruelest of moments and he wished it arrived sooner. How it happened, he'll never figure out. All he remembered was crying on muddy terrain on a rainy night and thunder struck him whole.

"It's alright. It's my job to assist you," Amell knelt down before the woman of his fantasies, holding her hand as gently as possible. "Do not hesitate to ask for anything. I know your capabilities but it's never harmful to ask for a helping hand. That's what escorts do, right?"

Jean, sitting on her chair laid her forearms on her desk, her eyes lowering in small increments, refusing to give in to the drowsiness. "I'm indebted to you, Amell. Thank you."

"I do not mean to interrupt your imminent slumber but this is not the best place for that, Acting Grand Master. Here," Amell slid his hand around the back of her waist, the other arm swooping behind both of Jean's legs as he scooped her up close to his chest. "Please do not take this the wrong way, I'm simply going to put you to bed and let you rest. If it's okay with you, I'd like to stand guard by your side until you fall asleep. Ah. You are comfortable with this, yes? I can let you walk if you want?"