Chapter 15

Warning. Hot stuff ahead.

"Did you guys really not attempt anything when you were alone together?" Lisa dared to be pugnacious in Jean's close quarters. A relationship with the Acting Grand Master was no simple feat.

It was not even considered a possibility amongst the reformed hierarchy nowadays as the position held more than significant weight to it. In other words, the odds of forming a connection other than professional means were extremely close to none.

The blonde-haired woman was concentrated on her responsibilities, only ever calling her assistant should she require him. However, Jean wasn't known to be helpless. Those requests had only been issues once in a while. Lisa Minci would rather be lax-natured but she wasn't stagnant in the matters of her friend's romantic endeavors.

"I have to face the nit and grit of the city's needs, Lisa," Jean countered back exhaustedly. She wouldn't show that moment of weakness on her face and kept firm alongside her strength. "I have decided to be attached with someone but abandoning my duties is out of the question."

"Still..." The librarian persisted, eager to dissect juicy details regarding her best friend's romance escapades. Since there was none like an empty jar, she couldn't help but be astonished.

"The city's domestic proceedings will be jeopardized if I am to get distracted. Not only that, you, I, and Kaeya have already verified the Abyss Order's sinister plot in potentially bursting through our defenses with some sort of infernal machine because of that Abyss Mage." Jean stressed out, studying the papers in hand which contained data about the Abyss Mage they were holding captive. "As the Acting Grand Master, I cannot afford to slip up. I have to maintain this city's peace."

Lisa pouted. "I understand your vision and all but don't you remember a few days ago when you kept sulking about Amell not being able to say your name?"

"Guh..." Jean's throat became heavy at that comment.

"When you came back to tell me the news of you getting together, you were so ecstatic you even allowed Klee to run around for a day without warning her not to set Marjorie's jewelry shop on fire." Lisa lectured her. "And you never fail to warn the little cutie of her possessions."

"What are you trying to say? That I'm neglecting the relationship?"

Lisa stood up from the sofa and tried mimicking Jean in the best way possible. She clasped her hands together close to her chest, her eyes sparkled matching Jean's elation. "Oh, Lisa! You wouldn't believe me if I'd told you a hundred times! I have never felt such joy in my life! This is another kind of happiness I wouldn't mind having! Ah... I am so grateful for the hardships I've faced-"

Jean covered her face with her hand, embarrassed. "You overstate..."

"Surely!" Lisa replied, laughing. "But that was the mood you carried and it spoke volumes. I can't imagine how mentally painful this must be for Amell, having to stand back and not get a single whiff of you more than once a day. Men aren't so patient with seeking intimacy, you know?"

Jean's cheeks went redder than a Jueyun Chili. Were men really like that? Her pure mind was getting tattered because of this bookkeeper.

"He's your assistant too so shouldn't he be standing right by your desk and watching your every move with lust-"

"You do not need to go that far..." Jean raised a hand up meekly, gulping. She knew she was inexperienced with these types of things. She'd only read them in books but never acted upon her womanly nature. "Lisa, am I doing something wrong? What should I do? Isn't this way permissible? We have things on our plate but isn't being together by an oath enough?"