Chapter 12

"Where are we going next, master?" Amell mouthed. The hills that surrounded them for the past few days were incredulous and the sheer amount of monsters had steadily been increasing. Amell ricocheted off of the two and tried measuring which one was crazier. They'd been surrounded by the very element that resonated with the waters; Geo.

He wouldn't choose to be arrogant under the pretense his master was close to devastating. Amell knew very well that even the gods posed their own limits and sacred homiletics of their power and knowledge could only be immortal in the passage of the winds. Still, he was clueless to his master's skill, only understanding him to be a formidable man under any situation.

"Where would you like to go?" Zhongli probed the young boy for an answer. The skies no longer suffered stormy anguish and the Glaze Lilies that were scattered in the terraces glowed beautifully underneath destined orbs of light.

"I'm fine with anywhere you want," he imparted.

"That isn't much of an answer, is it?" The man bent down to the boy's level. "What do you truly want, Amell? You can't be pleased by other people's decisions forever. You'll have to make some of your own."

"My decisions don't matter," Ambiguity crossed Zhongli's face at Amell. "The things I've done in the past when I'd walked by myself did not make me happy. I believe my actions contribute nothing if my mind can only think nothing but my selfish desires. That's why... I'm fine following what other people like. If it makes them happy, I'll eventually become happy too."

"Luckily for one such as me, you get to change that mindset," Zhongli enunciated clearly, embracing Amell in his arms. "No one walks the earth without thinking for themselves. That quality can only be attained through amassing enough experience in your life."

"B-but..." His body shook, refusing to accept his master's lecture. Not this time. He wouldn't be persuaded this one time. Not. This. Time.

"You have walked alone for most of your life. I cannot say I know where your family is. However, the stars have always been by your side. And it's led you to me. For those reasons, I want you to learn. Learn how to think for yourself and grow."

"Will you still be with me if I decide to do that?"

Zhongli smiled. "Of course. Even if I were not around, Teyvat has a place for everyone like you."

~*~

Amell did not enjoy stargazing. He couldn't oscillate his enthusiasm for it as Mona did. If anything, it just stressed him the more he looked up.

"Did you... misunderstand my confession last time?"

"Amell, that was directed at you. Could you have been deaf? I like you."

How could he have known? He wouldn't dare infer a possibility of being compatible with someone from the Gunnhildr clan. They were beyond exemplary, branding a history that might as well be legendary in parables and journals. He was neither praiseworthy nor even worthy to be smeared with Jean's heroic emanations.

Wasn't this what any sane man would hope for? To have their feelings reciprocated? He did not expect it. He knew Jean attempted to be closer to him but wasn't it part of his job? To always be by her side and assist her if she needed anything?

"No woman would lean on a man's shoulder like that." Amell sighed, his back leaning forward in defeat.

Sitting atop the Anemo Archon's palms in a peaceful Mondstadt calmed him down. He wasn't keen on getting down anytime soon but staying forever would be a terrible idea. He'd not only face total awkwardness by the next daybreak but also have to face the brunt of Jean's disappointment in his denseness.