Chapter 4

Amell undulated through the outmost sections of Mondstadt for a week in regards to information. For a great deal of time, he'd spent it interrogating locals in a calm and friendly fashion from the warm and humble town of Springvale to observing the leverages of the Dawn Winery from a bird's eye view. His curiosity and yearning for revenge against the Abyss Order hadn't quelled to a lower form. In fact, it had grown fiercer as he progressed.

Nothing satiated him more than excavating the unknowns of a sinister force that divided him and a person he considered close to being a father. 

The disorderly haystacks and abundance of barrels of wine scattered along with its hunters near the town's big placard were enough indication that it was indeed Springvale. Amell liked his short walks but he wasn't such a huge fan of long treks. It reminded him of the road he'd stomped on alone. 

He wasn't keen on sharing confidential details so his manners in gathering intel were as discreet as a low grumble of the stomach. He blended in for most parts; asking if there had been anything strange going on in the vicinity and if monster attacks were becoming more violent gradually. All he'd gotten from that part of the land were baseless speculations and a few hilichurl sightings but nothing too dangerous that popped up. He couldn't believe in these things alone. They were too bland, too vague.

Mondstadt had recently recovered from an invasion and the wrath of Stormterror. No doubt it wouldn't be the last disturbance the municipality would face but it dented their defenses, disrupted the flow of the community, and shook its circular framework. Amell had not been present at the time to witness it. He could only leave it up to the power of his visualization. 

Weeks would pass and Amell had received a fair bit of inside information from Diluc with the rest of his knowledge being the icing on the cake inside the winery. It was evident Diluc wouldn't ever come back to the Knights of Favonius but his cooperation and willingness to him was making Amell believe he was consumed with something else other than reconsideration. The man owned a parallel sense of justice but they were pretty much on the same side. 

"I fear my skills at congregating findings are inferior to yours, Diluc." Amell admitted, the truth of him being weaker somehow stinging him. 

"To each their own. Despite your inexperience, you're the Acting Grand Master's personal supervisor for a reason. I have much leeway in my operations. Don't underestimate yourself." Diluc's response caused Amell to feel slightly better. The truth was slowly nibbling at him and dissipated the more his senior talked and gave advice. "You might know a lot but acting on what you know is different. I'm not at all shocked if you're good at a few things and bad with some. Still, I'd prefer if you stick to what you know best."

"I can't afford to stay in one place. Information related to that dastardly faction and I'm filled with intense feelings."

"Maybe it is best if you do keep aiding Jean." Diluc tapped on the table with his gloved fingers.

"I'm doing that my way. Also, what would be your purpose in inviting me here besides cooperating? You wouldn't invite me if you weren't inclined to share your lowdowns."

"Partially true but you'll never be sure if what I say will be the truth or not. I know you're different but someone who's a part of the Knights rubs me off the wrong way." Diluc stared into Amell's soul. "You're not an idiot but you aren't like those Knights either. Aside from Jean, I'm willing to put my trust in you."

"Aside from the rapid increase of monsters of the mountains and highlands, what did you find?" He'd want nothing more than to get back on track. 

Diluc leaned closer. Though in Amell's view, he was an edge away from him because he was seated at the far end. "Take it with a grain of salt from the connections I've made. The Abyss Order is planning to create a vessel."

"A vessel. You mean a device of some sort?" 

Adelinde, the head housemaid of the household poured a glass of chamomile tea and placed it on the table beside Diluc's. The brewmaster had insisted Amell savor the taste from his walks but he politely declined. His stomach couldn't bear to eat anything if his mind was troubled.

The storm was incredibly unforgiving during this time. He didn't bring anything else besides the polearm he'd grown to use and a few edibles in his pockets. Diluc was known to be wealthy for a young man, successful in the wine trading business and his reputation. Perhaps he had several coats laying around that could shelter Amell from the rainfall. He disliked the rain soaking his clothes. 

"A little talk with a blonde-haired fellow and her companion was enough for me to clear my suspicions. They are planning to build something related to a ruin guard, possibly stronger."

"Blonde-haired fellow?"

"It's not Jean if you're curious," Amell tilted his head to the side in confusion. "In their twisted minds, it must be their version of a god. No, that is too grand a label. A destructive force is perfect to describe it."

"I'd heard Mondstadt suffered from a dragon's rage quite some time ago. If they're able to control one of the Four Winds, then what else could they do?" Thinking back, maybe his master must've thought coming along with them was safer to do than fighting. There might've been a good reason why Zhongli left him. His sanity would've dropped if his master hadn't. 

He was positive. No. He was certain he'd gone mad. 

"So far, that's all I've been able to dig up. I've managed to capture one of their Abyss Mages but these fools are trained to not talk to their enemies. Bastards and their practices, killed themselves before I had the chance to burn their rears to confess. As for their hideout, it's a long stretch. The objectives aren't far from the tree, destroy the nations one by one. As for why, it's a matter of philosophical views by that end."

Amell sighed. "Information is information. Can't say I've been contributive myself."

"Worst-case scenario we might have to just wait for them to come out instead of us coming to them." Diluc stood up from his chair. "If that is our fate, all we can do is hope."

"I'm sure you do not mind but telling this to the Acting Grand Master will not cause any trouble. She will do her best, as always."

"Do as you see fit. Just don't let the other Knights interfere. They're better suited protecting the city from inside than what's out there." Diluc extended his hand out to him. At least he trusted Jean to an extent. "In the meantime, don't panic. Focus on the city. I'll remain vigilant in providing some much-needed leads."

Amell agreed with that and shook his comrade's hand.

"I'll keep you updated. Thank you, Diluc."

"Oh, one more thing, Amell."

"Yes?"

"Stick to your job. Leave this to me." Diluc smiled, albeit faintly.

He reluctantly accepted, made his leave in the storm, uncaring now if he was drenched from head to toe.

For Zhongli, for Jean. 

"W-whoa!" He almost slipped from the mud. "Stupid rain..."

Diluc was right. The best thing he could do right now is to assist Jean. His goals of revenge toward the Abyss Order would have to wait.