Chapter 10

"I need you two to help me with something." 

Amell helped Jean with whatever she asked. It was a universal factuality assisting a Grand Master was one of the most commendable feats a Knight can achieve. Shards of his consistent cooperation were scattered throughout Mondstadt but today would have to be different. 

Having heard about the Honorary Knight's exploits and journey of destiny, Amell getting a stranger's help in his business affairs was uncommon. The man was used to finishing up his work without much struggle. 

He saw Lumine and Paimon by accident admiring the fountain's clear waters by Timaeus' crafting department and he wouldn't waste the opportunity to witness their liberating helpfulness firsthand.

Paimon chopped at the air in an attempt to rile herself up, her gaze measuring Amell's competence as a Knight. He wasn't one but technically he joined one without taking any examination. Upon closer inspection, these two were odder than the sun and the moon colliding. The fairy looked to be swooning at him. Though he'd chosen to ignore it.

Fairies showed themselves only to humans they deemed special so Paimon was definitely not one. Amell recalled there was an old man in Springvale who seemed to have made friends with a fairy but had lost contact when he grew up. 

He'd seen bizarre paraphernalia, met people with strange mannerisms (the guy fishing in the vicinity of Wangmin Inn was innately suspicious), and was familiar with unorthodox structures in the form of unfriendly domains. They were different. They carried a scent that warned him they weren't from this world. 

Lumine was an unexpected tremor and it shook him up. When everyone talked highly about her efforts, Amell would think she was given more privileges. She'd show him what privilege it was if he asked.

"Anything for you, hotshot!" Paimon teased. "Paimon says that but we've met countless good-looking men so far! Paimon will add you to the list!"

"I had rejuvenated myself at just the right time. My energy might still be latent but I'm good to go if it's only a small task." As expected, the Honorary Knight didn't complain under the face of need. "What is your task for us? I hope it's nothing too dangerous."

Amell analyzed in his head. "Let's see... Are you aware that the Deaconess of the Favonius Church and the Acting Grand Master are related by blood?"

Paimon filled in to speak. "Duh! That's common knowledge around here! Right, Lumine?! Mondstadtians should be embarrassed if they didn't."

He chuckled in response. Paimon held nothing back. Nonetheless, he had to give out a practical response. "That is true. Members of a well-respected hierarchy tend to be scrutinized to the point that their hobbies speak volumes than nature's halcyon beginnings."

"That's going a little too far, ehm... What was your name again?" Paimon asked apprehensively.

"Amell. Calling me by that is fine. I work for the Acting Grand Master as her escort. When she takes leave for business outside the city on her own, I monitor the city's safety. I have said it before but it's nice to meet you."

"So a tame Diluc then?"  Paimon joked.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing! Nothing!" Lumine waved her hands at him. "You were saying something about a Deaconess? We happen to know her as well as the latter very well. Did something happen to them?"

Amell normally wouldn't share this information with anyone seeing as it was Jean's personal life. Call it a gut feeling, Amell thought he could trust them based on his boss's words of praise.

"The Acting Grand Master as you know is a very hardworking person. She has no time for other things and wishes that the days were longer. This leaves her other basic human responsibilities stark, such as the case of the unfathomable distance between two sisters."

"And you want us to do something about it?" Lumine felt that this plan didn't have any substance to it.

"No! I don't intend to burden you in concocting one. I have an idea and I want you two to take part if it's alright."

"Eh, what's one more commission on the side?" Paimon shrugged. "Lead the way, Amell!"

"I'm grateful. I will repay you someday."

"Doesn't he smell like a Diluc to you?" Paimon whispered into Lumine's ear. The blonde-haired girl raised an eyebrow.

"Best to just keep it to ourselves, Paimon."