Chapter 11

"You'd want me to write a letter to Barbara?" Jean vocalized. 

Amell didn't have to forge a sophisticated plan. Simplicity was underappreciated. The Acting Grand Master's escort distributed a spotless piece of canvas on her desk, the pen sitting idly by and later distinguishable when she saw how it was connected to the matter at hand. 

"You asked me to accompany you when you're having personal problems in your relationships. I believe this is a good start in trying to fix what you think is left untreated," Amell commented, allowing the soles of his fingers to brush at Jean's fingers unintentionally. 

She was an avid believer who valued the decrees and lives of the people like they were her own family and to touch the person she was enamored with was salutary to her well-being. When did someone like Amell become heavily important to her? He was only an assistant, another caretaker in her business affairs. 

They were talking about her crestfallen connection to her little sister when this could've only been a discussion regarding the stock market a few months ago. 

"I-isn't Barbara busier than ever these days?" she stuttered. What a travesty! 

Amell's vigor in seeing this through trumped through her unwavering facade. It was uncharacteristic of her to back down like a cowardly crane. 

"What makes you think she's occupied when the Ludi Harpastum is close by? A letter from you is a green light in this more than a red one. You suppose deaconesses harbor no time for conventionalities in communicating by hand?"  he said. Amell was trying to be resolute, his voice gentler than what he intended. "If you do get stuck, I'll always be there to make sure you find a way out. Take your time though, we don't have to see her right away if you aren't prepared. That's why creating a letter for a chance to meet is more felicitous considering your current feelings."

Jean didn't think he'd care this much. Pressing her lips together, she bent her head down laser-focused on the blank sheet before her. "Will she write me back...?" Jean blurted out.  She gulped, feeling unsure and confused contrary to her efficiency and adaptability to challenges. "We didn't have the best interactions. A petrous fissure disunited us. Having put work before my sister had increased the distance. I do not regret how I came to be in my position, just unsatisfied with how I can't include all the things I love in a short time."

A fissure? Is it that severe? Amell craned his head to the side.

"If you're still worried about her being busy, don't fret over it. I had some close friends find out for me-"

"Close friends?" 

Yeah. Lumine and Paimon were kind enough to check her list of appointments.

"Indeed. Are you surprised I have friends?" 

"I guess I am mildly surprised. You'd told me before how you have no time as work gets in the way." Jean smiled, making sure to get him comfortable in her presence. She'd already fulfilled that a long time ago when she accepted him for who he was. Now she was in her element as her sights were taking in Amell's facial expression.

"People change. It's not such a big deal." He chuckled. "When we change, our work adjusts in accordance. I guess you can profess that this is a wonderful job I've landed myself."

"Oh?" Jean leaned her elbow on the desk, resting her palm underneath her chin, sporting a playful grin. "Maybe you can treat your boss to a meal if you're truly thankful. Take a walk with her in Starsnatch Cliff and study the flowers there at night."

Reading those romance books really paid off.

"Maybe I will," He smirked, causing Jean to blush. She wasn't expecting him to ride along with her teasing. "Your man will surely be overcome with envy should he find out I took his place."

What? Jean exclaimed in her thoughts.

"Amell," she called out. "What do you mean by that?"

"Isn't there someone you like, Acting Grand Master?"

"Um. Yes. But, didn't you hear me last time?" 

A question mark floated on top of his head. "Huh?"

Was I not clear before?!

"Did you... misunderstand my confession last time?" Jean's words trailed off. "Amell, that was directed at you. Could you have been deaf? I like you."

"Wait wha-"

She was so sure he'd already known how she felt about him. If the incessant cuddling and sweet-talking weren't indicative enough then she'd probably try to show it more obvious next time.

"Is it a shock? Is it a problem?" Jean's mind blew up, burning hotter each second like the gears of a clock had overloaded from too much usage. "Were you really absent-minded this whole time about my feelings for you? Was it bothersome? It's unbecoming, irresponsible, and perhaps strange but you'd given me a tongue lashing before about me having the right to love whoever I wanted so I just went for it and... Were we both confused?"

"Uh... Um.. H-hold on, I'm trying to recollect..." Amell covered his mouth, secretly elated yet overwhelmed with the explosion of words and confessions the Acting Grand Master released out of her system like a train of fire. "Y-you were referring to me that time? Not another person?"

"Who else could it have been?" Jean interjected. "I'm sure I'd given you more hints than puzzles in ruins..."

"I'm uh... Well, whoa. Um." Both of their faces were a hot mess.

"It's... rude to ask but... Do you have equal the strength to like me back?" 

I've already fallen in love with you. Amell thought. 

"A-acting Grand Master..."

"Acting Grand Master?" Jean repeated. "Why don't you call me by my name? Is it really that difficult to say? It's four letters, Amell. Can you not say it in front of the girl who likes you?"

"Jean! Do I have information to gi-" Lisa barged in the room with Kaeya in tow, eager to share the news they'd been blessed with until they realized they had interrupted something between the two. "A-ah... Have we disturbed you?"

"No. No. Please do come in," Jean said, a splotch of disappointment and sadness overtook her face before it morphed back into one that befitted her role as Grand Master. "We've just finished. Isn't that right, Amell?"

"Y-yes."  

Honestly, he'd carry her out of here if he could after hearing all of that. 

He'd like to punch himself first.