Chapter 13

Jean, left with her influx of physical strength had almost turned the pen in her hand into powder by how much she was pulverizing it with her fingers. It was one significant worry over another. The Knights of Favonius required a great deal of patience and morals, the trials were only precursors for the real deal but at the end of the day, it concerned all aspects of endurance. 

Not only was her heart temporarily in tatters over a confession that bore no fruit but news of the Abyss Order's schemes elicited fiery anger within her to be unleashed. Normally, the Acting Grand Master would be moderate in discussions and private meetings. Such is supposed to be the case as Mondstadt historically relied on their god for protection. Mondstadt's narratives were beautified through the Anemo Archon's tales. His bravery in aiding with the downfall of the evil aristocrats just one of many accomplishments. They'd needed a calm leader. 

Nonetheless, her best attempts at welcoming Lisa's observations regarding the Abyss Mage she and Amell captured the other day were going splendid. Kaeya remained silent yet questionable at Jean not being in her element. 

"Abyss Mages are just as infused with the elements. I had originally perceived that hypnotic suggestion would work on them," Lisa mentioned, donning her polished appearance like always. "I could only get a maximum of two words that popped out its mouth. Poor little baby couldn't even pronounce them properly."

Bomb? Machine? I don't want to push it but isn't the outcome they desire too obvious? Jean thought. 

Kaeya folded his arms, "Soon as the special interrogations division uncovered the level of unyielding power behind the binding spell, they'd given up after trying high-class thaumaturgy. And so, only two words are sufficient to come to a conclusion."

Jean, pained but resolute, responded courteously. "We can theorize a few things that make sense with your findings." The Acting Grand Master did not practice in that department but she was well aware such things existed. "The spell does not react to anyone outside its original caster. It's a gamble but any information is better than nothing. Bomb and machine, it is now clear they plan to destroy something. The question now is who or what."

"What do we do about the Abyss mage? My shoulders are already tired from showing nightmares to that cute little critter. This is why I prefer being inside..." Lisa stretched her arms up in the air, a moan escaped her lips. 

"Do not let it get out of our sight. You never know with those creatures. Keep it in rigid trial for now. There might be a time limit to the binding spell." Jean leaned back into her chair, recollecting something Amell had told her. Why did she always have to think of him even if she didn't want to? "Cavalry Captain," she said.

"Yes?" Kaeya responded. 

"As of today, I order Noelle to be in your cavalry. She is expected to come here tomorrow at five o'clock sharp as a member of the Knights of Favonius." 

"H-huh?" Kaeya stammered with a smile. "Noelle? Do you mean that Noelle? Will she not be taking the yearly examinations as per custom?" 

"If you happen to know another Noelle in Mondstadt, remind me to update Mondstadt's extensive family tree lexicon," she sassed. Lisa uttered an 'Oh my'. "She committed a valorous act in aiding me with the Abyss mage. I may have judged her wrong at one point but now my senses don't fail me. She's highly capable supporting not only you but everyone in the Knights."

Stupid Amell. Stupidly dense Amell. How could you ignore my feelings like this?  Still... I have a duty. A mission I'd faithfully given in to the moment I made it a dream. But! I'm so upset!

This wasn't how it was supposed to go in romance books.

"Jean?" Lisa gently called for her best friend's name. Jean aimlessly released an 'eh?' at the Librarian. "It is a question you're used to hearing but are you alright? I can somehow tell another issue is bothering you."