Part 21

--------- LOKI'S POV ----------

It's been a week. She should be back by now. I trust her, yet I have to fight every urge in me to go after her. I am in agony. Misery. I miss her, the smell of her hair, the softness of her skin, her passion to fight, the love she has for her friends, family and... me.

She instructed me to take care of her sister. I have been. She is a few years younger than Ayça, but not very different. They talk the same way, and have the same humor. It's sweet having her around, but it's not the same.

Beth has been sleeping in here sister's room. I've had to tell her multiple times that Ayça will be fine, seeing as I'm the only one who knows about her immortality and her double crossing with Thanos. I'd rather keep it a secret, even if it's from her own sister.

I wake her up, telling her to come for breakfast. She is in no hurry this morning as she nearly crawls to the kitchen in sleep shorts and old slippers. "Morning." I greet her, but she doesn't say anything. She gets her coffee and returns to her room.

"Do you think we should go after Ayça? It's been a while and I'm really worried about her." Peter speaks up while we all sit and eat.

"It's hard to know what we would be getting ourselves into." I point out, giving him a side eye.

""For all we know, she could be dead. I think we owe it to her to at least-" Natasha begins, but I slam my fist on the table. She shutters away from me, still afraid of me after all this time. I can see it in her eyes.

"We will not be chasing someone who does not wish to be chased. Ayça can handle herself. Have you all forgotten that she is, after all, truly home?"

They hang their heads, the know I'm right. Although, I do not care to admit to myself or anyone here that I do fear for her. I know Thanos, and I know he could turn on her, especially if he finds out she's been lying. I do not even go near the thought of her lying to me. I could not bare it. "We will give her 24 hours. If she has not returned, I will go. No need for anyone to get in the way." I say, standing up to leave.

"Beth won't like that." Peter calls out as I stand in the doorway. This guy, I swear.

"Beth is under my protection until Ayça returns. I am not about to drag her into a place where she will just die. She is in Tony's care when I leave." I sniff, then leave the room entirely.

--------- AYCA'S POV ----------

The fire is in a small ring around me. I've been able to focus on keeping it at a distance. I can even change the color of it. I must be filthy with ash and soot from being in a burning room for so long, but at least it's not me who's on fire anymore.

I make the fire grow and shrink with my breath, letting it become an extension of myself. I've studied the room I'm in, and I think I'm in some sort of small volcano. The walls are black like asphalt and the ground is cracked with veins that glow red and orange. Steam collects that the top and, when I look up, I can see a glimmer of light through a small hole. That's my way out.

Suddenly the wall breaks open. He's coming. My heart begins to race, god I'm terrified of him.

"Well done, my daughter." He says, chuckling at the ring of fire around me. "You've done what I assumed you would. You've passed."

"Do I get a gold star, now?" I say, my voice hoarse and dry. I don't think I've spoken a word since I lost my voice from screaming when this all first began.

"You move on. You've taken control of your physical strength. We must move on to your mind. Prove that you can do this, and I will set you free." He makes the fire vanish from the room. I exhale, completely exhausted. I doubt he's going to give me a break before I take on his next challenge. This is fucking pointless.

"Why should I prove anything to you? You tore me away from executing the plan you set out for me. How do you expect me to kill Loki if you won't even give me the chance?" I question him.

"Then this should be easy for you." He says, then leaves the room. What the fuck is he talking about?

I close my eyes and hang my head. My wrists are aching from being tied up for so long and all I want to do is stretch.

"darling..." I hear in a voice that sounds like an angel. I look up and, standing in front of me, is Loki. I get butterflies in my stomach, then quickly realize he's not there. Shit, this is my next test, isn't it. Do I have to kill him?

"You're not real." I spit.

"I'm as real as you make me, my dear." He says, coming closer. I nod my head up quickly, and he flies backwards and crashes into the wall. He makes an 'oof' sound, then looks at me fearfully.

"Tell me, if you were to die, how would you want to go?" I ask, no emotion in my voice.

"I don't want to die..." He says, shaking his head.

"Oh, but you will. You have to. I have to do it, don't you see?" I say, my blood starting to boil.

'Ayça, please..." He begs, falling to his knees.

"I have no choice." I say coldly.

I surround him in flames. He panics. Oh god, I hate this. If I show any emotion, Thanos will hurt him, and I just can't have that. This is the only way to keep Loki safe. It's the only way to keep myself safe. I know he's watching me, so I have to act like the devil he wants me to be.

"Goodbye, Loki." I growl, focusing on the area just above his head. A blood red flame ignites out of thin air, then drops down hard to hit him in the heart. He is engulfed in the flames and I watch him scream. Soon, the illusion disappears and Thanos returns.

"Again." He demands.

I hold back tears, the knot in my throat ripping apart and spreading everywhere. He cannot be serious. I look up at him through my eyebrows, but say nothing.

Over and over again, he has me kill Loki. I'd rather be on fire than do this. I've lost count at how many times he's had me do this, and I don't even feel like myself anymore. Finally, he's had his fun. He leaves me in the dark volcanic room to rest.

"It won't be long now." He says. What the fuck does that mean?

"Ayça?" I hear from in front of me after a few moments. I chuckle under my breath.

"Very funny. You said you were done with this shit." I mumble, not bothering to look up. He's probably sent one more illusion, just to fuck with me.

"Ayça, what has he done to you?" Loki asks, rushing over to me.

"You're not real." I growl, looking up slightly at yet another illusion.

"I had to see you before I came. I thought... I thought you had him fooled?"

My attention peaks. What does he know? "Had who fooled?" I say, my voice cracked and dry.

"I should have come sooner, I'm so sorry, my dear. Beth, she knew something was wrong. I should have listened to her..."

"Shut up! That's enough! Do not drag my sister into this, you big ugly thumb!" I shout at him. I'm done with this. I'm done with Thanos, I'm done with this room, this game he's playing. "You've broken me, can't you tell? Just let me go! LET ME GO!" I scream, finally crying.

Loki steps back, horrified. I look at him for a moment through teary eyes. I study his face. Then he says something only I would understand. Thanos would never know this. Oh god, Loki's sent his own illusion from Earth to check on me. It's actually him.

"Let's do 'get help'."