Chapter 6

The following day, Aaspaelwin readied for travel again. He'd gotten his wounds dressed by a shaman, and changed into clean clothes. The pounding pain over his ribs was muted by a cool paste of healing herbs. His thoughts jumped between worry for Sekafi and fear for the monster. He had to go back there. Why had he agreed to that? For her. Of course. He wished there had been any other way, but he couldn't possibly afford a healer by himself. He needed Master Owadro's help. Or, at least his money. Sweeping the room with his eyes, he made sure he had everything before he left. Money pouch, new mapping gear, knife, parchment to write the runes on, waterskin, food rations. Sighing deeply, Aaspaelwin grabbed a tan cloak hanging by the door and exited his home, a small room above a potter's store. He'd rented it for years.

'Good luck on your journey,' Gaen, the owner, called as he passed through the store.

'Thank you.' Aaspaelwin raised a hand in farewell. For the last time? The hair on the back of his neck prickled at the mere thought. What if he never made it back home again?

Warm air blew his hair back from his face as he stepped out into the dusty, noisy street. On his way to the Chancellor's office, he passed a small shrine and took a few minutes to offer some food, burning it on a small altar, and prayed for success. Statuettes of the deities stood in a circle around him. Heldest the healer, Eldon the sunlord, Ira goddess of the fire mountain, Efwyr the god of war, Wekk the goddess of trade, Kinirin the huntress, and many more. Maybe one of them would find pity in their heart enough to spare him. But never trust in it. That's what his mum used to say, long ago. Don't trust the gods, they'll do what they want, and you're nothing more than a tiny speck in their grand schemes. He sighed and left.

A few minutes later he met with Lady Hennaja, flanked by two guards in black lamellar armour, arming swords by their sides and helmets under their arms. One of them immediately drew his eyes. A fire lizard. Not what he had expected. The red lizardman gave him a blank stare and Aaspaelwin turned his attention to the Lady, suppressing his unease.

'Ready to set out?' she asked without wasting time on pleasantries.

'Yes. Sooner rather than later.'

'Healer Serigel will be with us shortly. I assume you were informed properly by Master Owadro of what to do, yes?'

Aaspaelwin nodded and swallowed. Find the remaining four or five stone markers. They should be standing in a large circle around the central standing stone where they'd encountered the monster. Copy all the runes as precisely as possible. "Be very careful you get them right," he'd said in an ominous tone. Aaspaelwin shuddered. The mage suspected the monster was summoned, and to banish it, he'd have to know exactly what they were dealing with. The magic runes would be the key to that. Knowing nothing of magic, Aaspaelwin didn't like this task at all. He wasn't some mighty hero, fighting monsters for a living. How could people do such things?

Lady Hennaja indicated the two guards, her bracelets tinkling. 'These will follow you, and keep you safe on your journey. Sir Drakaw Hapow.'

The man nodded and gave him a once-over, smirking slightly. In Aaspaelwin's eyes, he looked like any other human guard in the city. Big, burly, a few days' dark stubble covering his caramel chin, and hard dark eyes.

'And Hiaashaqwi Kaw,' Lady Hennaja said without stumbling over the name and nodded to the lizardman.

Aaspaelwin turned to watch it curiously. He couldn't tell if it was male or female, or read it's passive face. Clear amber eyes sat on the sides of a dragon-like head crowned with short white horns. Its red scales gleamed like gold in the sunlight. The powerful tail moved lazily from side to side. Aaspaelwin recalled something about them being poisonous and that they didn't like being called lizardmen. He couldn't for the life of him remember what they called themselves though. He gave a nervous nod. Hiaashaqwi blinked. Both guards were taller than him, intimidating. He was used to being the shortest, but missed Sekafi's strong, familiar figure. She made him feel safe. He didn't know these two. Could he trust them?