Chapter 28

Late in the evening two days later, Sekafi watched the crystal ball in Salabil's hands for the fifth time, light refracting in its purple-shaded depths. Aspen stood on her right, staring intently at it as Salabil carefully placed it in the black wooden stand on the table between them. Aspen leaned in, as if glued to the thing.

'Don't fall on in, dear,' Sekafi whispered and nudged him.

He huffed, and leaned back a fraction. She smiled.

'I need you both to be quiet and still,' Salabil said, adjusting the crystal ball slightly in its stand. 'It's a very delicate matter, and I need full concentration for this task.'

'Of course,' Sekafi and Aspen answered in unison. She met his eyes. So unusually serious, but also, a glimmer a humour at their unanimity.

'Is it happening?' Hiaashaqwi asked from behind.

'Yeah, come here,' Sekafi said and indicated the space beside her. The samandar hunched down by the table, his red scales glinting in the soft firelight. It was almost strange to see him in his undisguised form again, she thought.

Salabil gestured in the air above the crystal ball, making it possible for them to hear what she heard. 'Hush now,' she said.

They all focused on the mage. A few hairs they'd found on the comb Sir Hapow had brought lay between two small parchments on the table, runes covering their surfaces. Salabil's head bowed towards the crystal ball and she placed her hands flat beside the parchments.

As they watched, the patterns inside the purple crystal slid, at first barely noticeable, then faster and faster. Sliding, turning, spinning, darkening.

Sekafi held her breath. Would they find anything out this time? Or would they just see him going about his day, like before?

The crystal ball remained dark for a while, and Sekafi strained her eyes to see anything but their reflections. Then, the ball brightened. A room, seen from above, with a blue-robed mage in the centre. Master Owadro. He paced back and forth, pulling at his long grey beard with a bony hand. He stopped, and looked at something they couldn't see. Sekafi narrowed her eyes.

'It's not that easy,' Master Owadro's voice floated in the air, like a thin whisper. His image stood still, as if listening for a moment.

'I know. That's not what I m... I will, on Rainday.' Pause. 'It's a holy day. The people celebrate Sarek and Ailet.' Pause. 'Sorry, Malady. I won't speak their names again.'

'My lady?' Aspen whispered.

Sekafi shook her head. She wasn't sure what he'd said. But she was almost certain he was speaking to the woman Sir Hapow had encountered. What was her involvement?

Master Owadro's voice picked up again. 'The humanoids. Yes. I'll make it official on the same day.' He nodded. 'Certainly, most people blame them by now regardless. I'll simply be confirming what they already believe.'

Sekafi bared her teeth. He had started all this. Hot anger rolled through her entire body and she had to close her eyes for a moment to cool down. It was one thing to suspect him, another to have it confirmed.

'Are your people ready for the demonstration then?' Master Owadro asked quietly. Then he waited, folding his arms in his wide sleeves. 'Good. You'll pretty much be replacing the... yes.'

'Replacing...' Aspen muttered beside her, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

'Don't use too concentrated mixtures then. They die too fast,' Master Owadro snapped. 'It's happened a few times too often.' He took a sudden step back, raising his hands in the air. 'No, of course not. Forgive me. I'm forever in your debt for saving me. I'd never doubt it.' He bowed from the waist. 'No, I don't want it back.' He wiped sweat from his brow.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Sep 25, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Cursed Forest [Ongoing]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें