thirty seven

||CHAPTER 37||
《¤》

┊A R V I K A┊

Back in Delhi, situations were a tad bit out of control. Sherriyar stalked out of the Chairman's office, a little low on energy for the breezy afternoon of the first day of Navratri. His accusations on the entire administration sided with the rest of the department—even though he himself was very much a part of said administration. He expected a nine-day holiday retreat, but apparently got duped into getting his weekends robbed during DEEV's launch instead.

"Shouldn't I be the one moping? I have had the most tiresome month," I laid my arguments, skimming through the newly arrived greetings for the next nine days. One box of sweets stood out in particular—not just because of the intricately sculpted lid, undoubtedly the work of local artisans, but because the sender was one of closest friends my mother had allied. The lid came embellished with pearls, symbolizing the invitation it carried: Motiya, Jasm Inn's 25th Anniversary Gala.

"You lost your right the moment you switched DEEV to a workstation. Vacation doesn't belong to your vocabulary."

"Meh, can't say I regret it because..." I said airily, shifting to reveal a silver, chiseled piece of craftsmanship, artistically melded to represent a feminine figurine. Modern Art? Didn't really get it, but this statue definitely looked like it belonged on my shelf of honor.

Sherry stepped inside my cabin to take a closer look. "PoppinUp's Influential Businesswoman of the Year," he read out, "Mhm, I do remember seeing Netra among the guests."

"Hey, I won it fair and square!"

"I know," He chuckled, engulfing me in a side hug. "Not bad, Deewan. You're ruffling feathers."

"Thanks Sherry. Told you, DEEV's my baby."

"And what about Samyak?" He set the glinting statue on my desk. "Won't he be rewarded with this honor?"

"If he unscrews his dìçķ, sure." Of course I hated admitting that he deserved it too. "Is Dad busy? I really want to show this off."

The chairman's cabin was all the way across the floor and not in my line of sight, but Mia's desk was the spot that wouldn't miss any activity. So I went on to stand by her desk, attention rapt.

But Sherriyar moved swiftly to block my vision, "Eh, I don't think it's a good idea. Do you want to go have lunch now? I'm hungry."

"I'm not. Can you please—" I gestured at him to duck, "The Board Meeting is four weeks away, and I need to see everything that's going on in there."

"Then uhm," he attempted to twist my shoulder to walk me to the opposite side, "let's go get you binoculars! Store room me honge–"

Whenever Sherry acted this way, suspicions were seldom just a bad omen. I refused to move, raising my brows. "What is it? Is Samyak in there? Wo kab aya Dilli? Oh my god, is Dad giving Samyak 'the talk'?" I had been anticipating a summon for 'the talk' all of this week. 

His response cut short as the tinted door to the Chairman's cabin opened wide. The company's legal advisors emerged one by one, followed by a few members of the Board, all gleaming smiles and relieved expressions. And then, the reason for all the cheer appeared, dressed smartly for work that he had cowardly declined a long time ago.

Arnav and I hadn't spoken since our argument. Of course, there had been extended periods of time in the past where we had gone months without a nudge, but this was different. He spotted me, stiffened for a second, and then headed out.