forty nine

||CHAPTER 49||
《¤》

┊A R V I K A┊

Pre-wedding functions demanded way more preparations than the actual wedding. Over the short course of the week, we had pretty much lived like the Kardashians, with cameras following us everywhere to shoot us in our element and fabricate an aesthetic for the bride and the groom. Today's special served a star studded Qawwali Night—a precursor to Sangeet, which, in spite of the carefully choreographed routines, the groomsmen weren't prepared for.

It was against the backdrop of the setting sun in the dusky blue sky, with lit diyas and rose petals being floated in the pools on either side of the lawn, that the wedding planners hooked another mic inside my blouse and prepped me up to speak about my brother.

"What was he like growing up?" Someone from the group asked.

I indulged them with a scripted giggle. "Arnav has always been this quintessential, aagyakaari, sanskaari guy. He would always get good grades and participate in the extracurriculars, bring home trophies and medals and kittens from the road. Okay, the last part may or may not have been my idea, but he would do it, and I remember how our Daadi would reproach both of us, but he'd take the fall for it and win everyone over with his charm."

"Did you always do stuff together?"

"More like, forced to—to the annoying point of having the same best friend! Oh my god, my brother is such a copycat, I kid you not. Vansh ke saath dosti pehle meri hui thhi. Arnav is very shy when meeting new people even now I'd say."

"Was Sanaya also your friend?"

"Well, we have known Arohi for a very long time through Ishita," I answered. "Ishita is our close friend, and we went to school together. And Arohi had just started her Bollywood career back then, so she was way too cool to hang out with us."

The group chuckled behind the lens, prompting another question. "What was your reaction when you came to know that your brother is dating the Bollywood superstar?"

I tried to remember the exact moment to detail. "It came in phases, you know? Arnav had returned from the states for a project here, but we rarely got to see each other because his shoot schedule was bizarre. And that is how they met actually—their adult selves, I mean. It was way later that he finally told me, and I was actually shocked because none of us ever imagined the two of them together! "

Between sharing anecdotes and stories, I spotted the man of the hour dashing into the lawn, his steps hurried and aimless. He crossed the wooden bridge over the pool, crashing into a man carrying a basket of flowers. The commotion subdued with hasty apologies. Arnav didn't even look back to help the man up, which was very unlike him. He stopped short behind the group of wedding planners as soon as the shooting equipment came into his view.

His hair was disheveled from the number of times he had probably run his fingers through them and he was still in the outfit from the previous function. He ignored the heads that turned to inquire about his well-being, trying to regain his breath.

Fixated on me, his distraught expression beckoned my senses when someone asked, "How well did you guys get along growing up?"

Arnav pressed his lips together, looking away impatiently. I fidgeted with the end of my bracelet, slightly worried. Though we hadn't spoken directly in a while, he clearly needed to vent for whatever had caught him in a frenzy. "Can we do the rest of the questions later?"

Leaving them no option, I started towards the other end of the lawn. Arnav took notice of me only after I reached his side. He looked like he could do with some fresh air and a change of scenery.