five

||CHAPTER 5||
《¤》

┊A R V I K A┊

My lungs burned as I tipped my head back, downing the shot with no hesitation. I wasn't exactly sure why I let this journalist buy me a drink, I had no intentions of getting drunk tonight. Especially not in front of a reporter— that would result in a disastrous shìt storm.

But talking to Raman Oberoi wasn't pleasing to my mind either, and I had to endure hours of that. Today he had on an obnoxious pair of glasses with leopard printed frames. He called that a trend. It was hard to believe that a man like him was supposedly malicious and feared in business.

"I'm surprised, you know," I gulped, tasting the remnants of the liquor on my tongue. I needed more of that. Thinking about going back to Wadhwa and Associates to figure out a game plan was something I really did not want to think about right now. "For once, your reporters weren't flogging me at the airport."

I think he smirked– my eyes were on my brother who had gone back to clicking pictures of a half empty glass of liquor. He was weird that way– he was deep in thought and I knew that.

"That sounds like you've missed me."

"Speaking of delusions," I turned back to him, "How's that grand documentary about my step-father coming along? Do I get peeking privileges?"

He caught on. "You often express your distaste for that man. Is that a hint?"

That's why I needed to stay sober. I shrugged. "Nothing personal, but he could do with a better style..." of cleaning his mess.

I should have mentally prepared myself when I said that, because when Varun raised his eyebrow, raking his eyes down my body, I couldn't blame him. I had turned up in a pair of jeans and an oversized sweatshirt, eyeliner and a lipstick sufficing for my make-up. It's not that I did not know how to dress-up. I was simply tired and hadn't gotten fresh air since the flight landed yesterday. This was supposed to be a small catch-up anyway. "Keep your thoughts to yourself, buddy."

"I'm a journalist. That's the last thing I'd do."

Touchè. I did not like how he outsmarted me every time. His eyes gleamed each time he did that, and that made me hot for some reason.

Regardless, he didn't comment on my choice of outfit. "Are you here for the cruise project?"

"Are you confirming that so that stalking me becomes easier?"

He laughed, in the same way he did a month ago on that flight to Udaipur. It was flustering, but why would he want to deal with me just to glorify my step father? I rolled my eyes, chugging down the bottle in my hand, watching Arohi instead. She had been staying low on the liquor and had refused to dance with her crew– two activities that Ishita, her sister and my friend, claimed she was known in the family for. I'm still curious as to why she had to use a stage name at all. Sanaya did not sound any better than Arohi.

I could feel my thoughts meddling up. Low on the liquor, Arvika!

"...not you we're after."

Right. Had heard that one before. Varun seemed like he was done laughing at me. He had his wallet out and slapped his visiting card on the oak wood counter, sliding it towards me. "I know you love my company, but I've to leave before I'm accused of drunk driving."