Bonus ▪︎ 2.1 | Sudden Change In Plans

||BONUS 2||
《¤》

┊V A R U N┊

As if it was some pre-planned conspiracy, Mihir too joined the white picket fence families with a dog in the new family tree. It sat on the couch, huddling its head close to Pritha's to stare at the tablet in her hand. Some YouTube video played on it, probably some dog cartoon that had the two of them hooked to the screen.

Mihir poured the Goan chicken preparation I had brought with me into three bowls. "This smells great," he sniffed the air. "Kaha se laya hai?"

"We hired a new cook," I said, thinking back to the potluck instructions Arvika so very elaborately laid out for Rajni tai, but hadn't bothered kissing or even hugging me goodbye before her flight.

Adrija heaved a big pot of fried rice, setting it on the table whilst throwing a stern look in her daughter's direction. "Pritha, it's getting late. Brush your teeth, enough with the phone."

The poodle snuck closer to Pritha as both let out a non-committal whine. "Five more minutes, Ma, pakka!"

The married couple of three months exchanged a look before sitting down. Mihir had a growing soft spot for the kid, which explained the dog that he had presented to her as a bribe to marry her mother. I pulled a chair out and sat down, digging into the dinner.

"I thought Arvika ki flight kal ki hai," Adrija turned to me. "I really wish she could have joined us."

Adrija wasn't wrong. Her flight was scheduled for tomorrow. "She wanted to come too. Lekin a sudden change in plans made her prepone it. She said she wants to spend some time with her family before DEEV's anniversary or something."

"Or something?"

It was unsettling when both of them stared at me that way. "Yeah. Can you pass the Raita?"

Mihir did so. I plucked a spoon. Adrija inquired discreetly, "But Uncle-Auntie are in Mumbai, na? She was telling me ki woh idhar se hi board karne wale hai, aur fir Goa se directly Delhi jayenge for a few days."

They were, but the main question all of us had trouble digesting was Arvika seeking family time with them. As dark as it may sound, truth of the matter remained that the Deewan-s avoided family time. "Arnav aur Sanaya Delhi mein hai," was the only plausible explanation. "This is great, by the way."

"Thanks," Adrija said, still not taking her eyes off of me. "Pritha, five minutes over."

Begrudgingly, yet obediently, she set the device on the coffee table. The poodle followed her, as she stomped her way towards us in her white night suit. "Bye, Varun uncle. Arvika auntie ko bolna I will see her on the cruise!"

I promised her I would, and displaying her toothy smile, she bid us goodnight.

"Woh bohot excited hai," Adrija chuckled. "Mihir has promised to show her around the ship."

I remembered that Deewan Group had partnered with SENSES for the ship interiors. Mihir had headed the project then. "Are you bringing your dog along?"

Mihir shrugged. "Coco is still a puppy. I don't think that's a good idea. Hum dog sitters and pet boarding facilities dekh rahe hai."

I offered to ask Mikesh because the guy owed me multiple favors. Since he had politely declined the invite to the weekend getaway, the least he could do was look after another dog.