twenty

||CHAPTER 20||
《¤》

┊V A R U N┊

What made me curious about Bahl Corp., I couldn't pinpoint. Normally, I would account myself for being someone who kept up with all kinds of businesses, though it was the top-notch ones that frequented the pages of our biweekly more. And that was the only explanation I could offer during the magazine briefing for next month's issue.

Only one raised hand and her excited voice chimed in response, "I know someone who knows him personally."

I was learning how to negotiate with her. Somewhere between not paying attention and actually taking her seriously did the trick. My gaze swept across the room, waiting for someone to volunteer, someone who wouldn't turn this into some kind of Bollywood gossip. Girish bent over his notepad, undoubtedly scribbling doodles resembling either me or Mickey, Esha beaming with unaccounted pride, Kriti stifling a yawn the moment my eyes passed her, and Mickey resting his face on his interlaced fingers. The fùçking design team looked more attentive than the useless bunch of junior reporters. And why the fùçķ was this resembling a classroom?

"Bahls' don't have much worth in terms of stock prices anymore," Mikesh observed me.

"More the reason to find out what's going on."

I did not like it when he raised his brow, tilting his head to the side. "There hasn't been anything interesting to cover regarding their company. They seem to be managing quite fairly. It's been months since their last announcement, and that was right after Karan Bahl's switch from racing to joining the company."

"Call it the calm before the storm." Why was he testing me all of a sudden? "Tapping the fùçking piñata. Something is up with them, obviously."

"Sir, sir!" That excited squeal again. "I can reach out to him for my weekly section. I can ask him about how he finds the career switch, if he keeps up with the leagues and races, or if Bahl Corp plans on sponsoring any of the teams."

"That sounds fantastic, actually," Mikesh leaned back in his chair. "Even more relevant. And if something's really up with them, pretty sure we'll get to know through your section. Varun will look into it personally."

My glares aimed at him continued so even after the meeting was dismissed and I followed him to his cabin.

"She's not that bad, Varun, you know it," Mickey defended. "And if your gut is right, we'll get to know through her."

It wasn't Esha's dense character that bothered this time. "This isn't some stupid gossip, Mikesh"

He fixed a woolen scarf around the mannequin's neck while he spoke. "Show her. Show us. Why are you after that racer-guy all of a sudden?"

It obviously wasn't sudden, of course there were other stories to publish. Did I have a concrete reason, though? "Just a measly cover," I shrugged. "Something to stir up the ratings while we investigate the Oberoi case. We're tight on deadlines, remember?"

He did, looking a lot more convinced. "Arvika Deewan ka jo interview tune liya tha... Anything that hints towards Mr. Oberoi's fraudulent businesses?"

I clicked my tongue. "She's the closest contact, but pretty much a pampered airhead." Just a pawn in his game was all she was at the moment. Whether she realized it or not, was frankly none of my business. At least not until Oberoi's frauds were revealed publically.