Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Valentina awoke with a start.

As her eyes opened, Valentina found her father stood over her.

Fear flashed through her body as Valentina reacted with pure instinct, charging to her feet, she felt her fangs lengthening.

Dracul just watched her, waiting for her to calm down.

Valentina looked at his hands but saw no silver stakes. Her senses widened and Valentina realised that they were alone.

Her fangs returned to their normal position and she straightened her body.

“Calm yourself, daughter,” Dracula took a step forward, his hands clasped in front of him.

“Forgive me,” Valentina hissed, “But the last time you were stood over me, you ran a stake through my heart.”

Dracul lost his smile.

“Again.” Valentina added, remembering that it had not been the first time it had happened.

“You must learn to get over that,” Dracul whispered under his breath, knowing full well she would hear him.

Valentina narrowed her eyes, “Where is Christian?”

“Safe,” Dracul reassured her, “He is catching us our breakfast with your uncle and cousins.”

Valentina looked towards the barn door and mentally willed for him to return. She did not like him being alone with her family.

Radon and his sons had no allegiances to Christian and they would do her father’s bidding if it meant getting a bit further into his good favour.

And it was well established that Dracul did not like Christian.

Also, Valentina did not like being alone with her father either.

“So,” She turned back to her father, her hand instinctively checking that the dagger was still confined in her jacket, “What is it you wish to speak to me about?”

“You let the human and werewolf leave,” Dracul told her.

Valentina did not know why but every time her father spoke it felt as if she were on trial, and it made her want to rebel and fight with every fibre of her being.

“Is there a question in there somewhere?” Valentina crossed her arms over her chest.

“My question is why?”

Valentina watched her father carefully as she said the next thing, unable to stop herself.

“Tell me,” Valentina licked her lips, her heart would have been racing if it was still able to beat, “When you made the deal and condemned us both to this life, if you could call it that, did you ever think about Mother, about your wife?”

Valentina felt her blood drop a few degrees as her father’s eyes flashed red in warning.

But Valentina could only continue as her hackles rose, begging for a fight.

“Did you even stop to think what it might do to her or were you too obsessed with the power you would gain!” Valentina was beginning to shout, not caring if the others heard her.

Valentina took a careless step forward, approaching the dangerous animal and not caring.

“That’s it, isn’t it?” Valentina spat with disgust when Dracul couldn’t answer, “You never cared about your family,”