Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The tree fell and shook the earth beneath their feet, providing her father with a darker atmosphere as he made his vow of never losing his kingdom.

Valentina looked away from her father, unable to condone his mission, as they all grew silent over Dracul's little outburst.

"Valentina," her uncle Radon eventually spoke as he stepped forward but he dagger-like eyes in his direction stopped any further progress towards her person, "Dawn is approaching. Come back with us,"

"Not in this lifetime," Valentina scoffed; she had heard human girls utter this sentence with humour but for a vampire it was a simple statement. Afterall, they had multiple lifetimes ahead of them.

"We need to discuss this further and I do not wish to spend half the night chasing you down," Radon sighed with boredom.

"Well, I don't want to discuss this further," Valentina shrugged her shoulders and started to leave because her skin was tingling with the approach of dawn.

Christian clashed eyes with her before he turned and started to walk back with her; leaving her family alone in the woods when her father's voice made her freeze on the spot.

"There is a hybrid!" Dracul informed her and she looked over her shoulder to see him leant against the broken in half tree with a smirk on his face.

He knew that would get her attention.

"That's impossible," Valentina whispered with fear and remembrance.

"It's true," Radon looked between her and her father, a smile on his face once again, "We've met her,"

"Her?" Valentina's lips parted.

There had only been one hybrid in existence and there had never been a female hybrid before.

"H- how?" Valentina murmured.

Radon shrugged as if accepting that it was just an unusual twist of nature.

"Maybe the last hybrid had a daughter," Her cousin Elijah suggested from the background.

"No, he didn't," Valentina whipped her head around and hissed at him.

"How would you know?" Elijah raised an eyebrow; his tone filled with outrage.

"Because I was with her when she killed him," Christian spoke for the first time, his rough voice soft, as he remembered that time two hundred years ago, "And his entire family,"

Valentina looked at the ground and blinked as the memory flooded her mind, "It smelt of wet grass . . ."

* * *

1810, the Black Forest, Germany.

It was the first clear night for almost a week; Valentina remembered the local Seer telling them that it was a good sign for the harvest.

It had done nothing but rain for the last two days straight causing the earth to squelch beneath her riding boots and for the smell of dew and wet bark to fill her nostrils.

The moon and stars above her lit their path as they trekked effortlessly through the dense forest towards their prey.

Their prey . . . humans.

Valentina had long since stopped thinking of the two as separate things; she could not eat one person and then try and save the next.

It was hypocritical and against her nature.