Chapter 5

Chapter 5

He could sense her fear as much as he could sense her; his one blood tie; his one true family that he will never leave.

She and Christian raced across the city hoping to cross territories before her father caught up with them; if they could just get across the border then her scent would be lost to him and, with sunlight nearing, they would have time to escape.

She thought back to the times before when he had found her.

One too many times stabbed and left in a box like some trophy had her vowing never to return to him.

But he made an equally strong vow to never lose her. He would have his world back one way or another; after all, that was the deal he had made when he turned himself and his entire blood relatives into the world's first vampires.

Leaping across buildings and over fire escapes, they were drawing nearer to the border as time kept running out.

Christian never looked back to make sure she was there just like she never looked back to make sure he was there; they were both too focused on saving their own skins.

Christian remembered the times before when her father tried to kill him for taking his darling daughter from his grasp all that time ago when he saved her from the villagers.

Nearly there.

Kicking off the roof ledge she threw herself into the air, nothing more than the smallest of blurs to the humans below her, she crossed the twenty foot gap and kept running.

The rush of air was refreshing, her hair being blown out behind her by the wind when they hit the forest which bordered into the north territory.

"Why do you keep running, daughter?" Her father's voice sighed in her head; bored at her repeated response to his presence.

Trying to shut him out she kept going, Christian's footsteps behind her, when she slid to a stop in the middle of the forest.

It felt like one solid invisible wall was preventing her from crossing when, a second later, three figures stepped out from behind the trees and blocked her path.

Christian stopped beside her as he caught up and she hid her fear of them deep in her unbeating heart; if they thought her weak and scared then it was all over for her.

"Valentina," Radon stepped forward in his black jeans and leather jacket fitted to embellish his broad shoulders and the striking resemblance to her father.

They had the same square jaw and colour brown hair but whilst Radon's eyes were blue and his hair was short, her father's eyes were a dark black and his hair was permanently tied back in a black ribbon.

"What are you doing her, Radon?" Valentina shuffled from one foot to the other; she couldn't see nor sense her father anymore and it unsettled her.

He seemed hurt that she didn't call him Uncle, "We are in need of your assistance?"

"Do you need me to occupy a coffin for another ninety years?" She hissed at him, remembering the last jaunt she spent trapped with a silver knife in her chest.

"That was unfortunate," Radon inclined his head, "But necessary. We could not have you hurt as we fought for our kingdom. You mean too much to your father, my brother,"

"He doesn't like to change with the times, does he?" Valentina snapped, "Women today now fight their enemies just like you and your brothers fought our enemies back in the day. Women are strong here,"