Chapter 28

Chapter 28

New York, 1934

Valentina wandered off the busy streets, away from the screaming automobiles, and found refuge in a diner.

The artificial lights still drew her a small hiss from her lips as she removed her coat and was escorted to a table where she would be given food that she had no intention of eating.

She came here a few times a week now, a young male waiter had been all too willing on her first arrival to comply with her wishes, but now she came here for another reason.

After centuries of eternal night, Valentina found herself able to indulge in the warm glow of sunlight without the consequences of it burning her flesh.

She could gaze into the orbs magnificent embers without fear of perishing on the spot.

But as she turned and stared with curiosity at the creation called 'electricity', the sudden realisation of her age weighing upon her, a new sound instantly drew her attention.

Absorbing all of her senses, Valentina's ears pricked as she heard the voice of an angel.

Light and innocence, the girl's voice captivated Valentina until she found herself across the room, watching the young girl perform.

She was barely five with blonde curls flowing over her shoulders, and a much-loved teddy bear clutched underneath her left arm as she sang with the pianist.

But Valentina was not the only one watching the young girl, dressed in a satin blue dress that matched her eyes the girl had caught the attention of everyone in the restaurant.

As the girl sung and Valentina watched, the vampire was once again struck by the cruellest reality of her curse.

Her hand rested flat against her abdomen where, if she had a beating-heart, she could be growing a child of her own.

But her one dream of becoming a mother, of bearing new life, had been stolen from her. Valentina dropped her hand and clenched her jaw in anger as she watched the girl's mother run and gather her daughter up into her arms, kissing her with affection.

Jealousy ran through her veins like the electricity which ran through the establishment, lighting up Valentina's pale complexion.

As everyone congratulated the pair, Valentina retrieved her coat and stormed from the building.

Crossing the road and dodging the tin animals, Valentina placed herself in the shadows of an alleyway and waited for the mother and daughter duo to leave.

Valentina may not be able to bear a child but all she could see now was the young girl's bouncing blonde curls and her rosy cheeks.

Valentina wanted the girl, she wanted a daughter.

She may not be able to make a child the traditional way, by giving life.

But her father had provided her with the gift of making herself a daughter another way, by taking life.

* * *

The way Christian that looked at her right then, it was exactly the way that Valentina had feared.

They seemed to spark with confusion, followed by anger before all the love that he held for her seemed to vanish from view.

Valentina took a step forward, trying to chase after it but she knew it was gone. In that moment, she had lost Count Christian Korzhakov.