Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Curling her talons around the rail, fifty feet up in the air, Valentina jumped over the edge and floated to the ground, the leather trench coat billowing up behind her.

Landing effortlessly on the ground, as if she had taken nothing but a simple step, Valentina turned and faced the guard that never saw her coming.

Pushing the gun in his hands aside, her claws impaling his neck to keep him immobile, she sunk her fangs into his carotid artery and drank him dry within seconds before he even had a chance to scream.

Letting his body crash to the ground, Valentina turned and darted around the room so fast the humans barely even saw her before she had her fangs in their flesh and it was too late.

Dispatching the guards like they were nothing but flies, Valentina let the cold, lifeless body of a young girl slip from her grasp when she heard footsteps above her.

Licking the blood off her lips although it did nothing to hide the blood that covered her chin and ran down her neck before pooling in her corset, Valentina spied the two guards above her with hunger.

She had never drunk this much since she was last with Christian and it was riveting . . . and addictive.

Valentina barely thought about being up there and two seconds later she was, flying over the rail and landing on the metal grating, her heavy boots clanking against the ground.

The two guards left had barely passed each other in the centre to make another round trip when Valentina dropped in between them.

Reaching out with her hands, she wrapped her bloodied claws around their throats and dug them into their flesh before ripping them from one side of their necks to the other.

Blood gushed from the severe severing of their necks until blood pooled by their feet and started to drip through the holes in the grating.

Releasing their stinking human bodies, she looked over the railing and directly down at where portable lights had been set up and centred on the middle of the warehouse where Christian and Lucius were being held captive.

Anger flared in her chest once again, not bothering to hear their conversation, she hurled herself over the ledge and dropped down in front of the last human in her way.

Valentina did not know what she must have looked like but as the human turned, startled by the sudden breeze behind him, she saw that he was momentarily petrified of her presence.

A smile spread onto her lips as she could taste his fear on the tip of her tongue.

His dark eyes acted as a glistening mirror as Valentina saw her bloodied face, fangs and wild hair looking back at her.

"Valentina Dracul," Cole turned to face her fully, hiding his fear, as he put some space between them but even he should have known that it was futile, "Dracula's Daughter,"

"I prefer orphan," Valentina hissed.

"Are all my men dead?" Cole gave a scared glance up at the railings above them where Valentina could still hear the slow drip of blood from their bodies as it hit the ground behind her.

"One remains," She gave Cole a meaningful look as she took a step forward, letting him know that he was the last one for her to kill.

"Valentina . . ." Christian tried to stop her but Valentina had already seen what Cole had done to Christian.

It didn't matter that they were vampires and could heal whatever they put against them. It mattered that Valentina hadn't been able to protect him.