Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Christian was dead in her bed.

But Valentina couldn't sleep.

Stood at the foot of her bed, she gazed at where the windows were covered with black sheeting, drenching them in darkness.

She couldn't get her father's words out her head; there was a hybrid.

Hybrids went against every law of nature they had created; werewolves and vampires could not reproduce.

It was both physically and spiritually impossible.

But as her thoughts drifted to what she had done to the first hybrid and the blade forged with wolfsbane and silver, steel arms wrapped around her waist crushing her against their body.

Surprised by the sudden contact, she reached up and wrapped her hands around their neck before she lifted the intruder off the floor and over her head.

Their arms slipped from her waist and they crashed to the wooden floor on their back; a loud thump sounding as they nicked the thick black window coverings on their way down until a slither of sunlight creeped in and burnt her arm.

Hissing, she slid back into the shadows as she gripped her arm, the room starting to smell of burnt flesh.

"Serves you right," Christian grumbled from the floor, smirking up at her as he rested his head on the floor, protected from the sunlight.

"You shouldn't do that," Valentina snapped at him as she removed her hand and saw that her arm was once again flawless, "I could have killed you,"

Christian chuckled as he jumped to his feet and dusted himself off, "You could try,"

"And I would succeed," Valentina grumbled as she rubbed her new skin and eyed him suspiciously, "I thought you were asleep,"

"I find it hard to sleep with you prancing about," Christian raised his thick eyebrows and watched her strangely, "Is it your father?"

"I don't want to talk about my father," Valentina sighed as she stepped around him and carefully righted the window covering until the room was once again shrouded in darkness, matching her mood.

"You mean the creator of all vampires?" Christian chuckled, "The man who brought us together when he failed to protect you that fateful evening?"

"I didn't need protecting," Valentina snapped, "I was there because-"

"-Because you wanted to be," Christian finished her sentence and she eyed him with annoyance, "I know," he sighed as he walked across the room and wrapped his arms back around her waist.

"But still," Christian continued, his eyes dark but the planes of his face were so handsome, "You're thinking about something. Is it about the hybrid?"

Valentina leaned back and stared at him, "How can you speak of it so calmly? Have you forgotten about the last hybrid? About what would happen if it-"

"-Of course I haven't forgotten," Christian smiled as he kissed her neck, "It was one of the best nights of my life,"

Valentina couldn't help but smile at his charm.

"The scent of fresh human blood," Christian growled as he nipped at her skin, his hand dragging her body close up against his, "Their screams as we ripped their hearts from their chests,"

Valentina was becoming lost in his sweet seduction as she remembered their warm blood drenching her skin and the way Christian would lick her clean.

"Don't forget the ones that ran," Christian growled in her ear and she chuckled as she remembered the chase of their victims.

Sometimes they would release someone into the woods and hunt them down like a wild deer; the one that got to their food first could go on top in their next dalliance.

"Are you trying to seduce me, sir?" Valentina pulled back and narrowed her eyes at him in good humour.

"Me? Seduce you?" Christian placed a hand against his chest with mock horror, "I would never try such a thing,"

"Hmm mmm," Valentina shook her head, a smile creeping onto her lips.

"Now, you seducing me," Christian shrugged a shoulder, "That's an entirely different story,"

"I think," Valentina leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his lips even as her hand trailed down his chest, skimmed his abdomen and dipped beneath the waistbands of his boxer shorts.

Christian's mouth parted beneath hers, a small groan leaving the bottom of his throat as she stroked him tentatively.

"I think," Valentina repeated, losing track of where she was, "you need to take a shower."

"Only if you come with me," Christian growled as he cupped the back of her head and thrusted his lips onto hers in a maddening kiss which had her unravelling beneath him.

But before she could answer she was suddenly in the bathroom, being pressed back against the shower wall as cold water started to pelt her skin.

~~~

"Where is he?" Christian asked smoothly after they had been stood alone in the woods for nearly twenty minutes but she could hear the hint of annoyance under his tone.

Valentina shook her head, looking out into the darkness, "Hopefully he's skipped town,"

Christian gave her one of his looks as if to say she was deluded to think he would just leave her.

"I can dream, can't I?" Valentina asked in all seriousness but Christian just shook his head and dipped his hands into his thick jacket pockets, resigned to the fact that he would have to face her father again.

Her father had never accepted Christian; always thinking that he was behind taking Valentina away from him.

"If he doesn't bloody well show soon then I'm taking you straight back to bed," Christian growled, pressing his body against hers.

"Ooh, promises promises," Valentina smiled as she remembered their little work out session that evening; that had been nothing but foreplay to them.

In the past they could go for weeks just devouring each other; only pausing in between to drink some poor soul's body dry.

"Would you mind keeping that to yourselves," Elijah choked as he stepped into the clearing, his knee-length coat flapping out behind him, "I do not wish to bring up my meal,"

"Who did you drink this time? A lonely maid looking for a shoulder to cry on?" Valentina never said she didn't know her family's taste in meat.

Elijah smirked, "Well remembered, cousin,"

Valentina dipped her head at his compliment, "Where are the others?" She frowned as she could no longer sense her immediate family.

"Close," Elijah faced them with his strange looks; Elijah inherited his mother's sweet golden locks and fair blue eyes compared to her dark waves and ebony eyes, "They have sent me to collect you,"

Valentina laughed on purpose, knowing full well that it would irritate him to no end.

"I hope you have eaten for the evening," Elijah growled, "I fear we will not be dining for a time,"

"Great," Christian sighed as Elijah's words fell on his ears, "It's bad enough that I have to spend time with your family now I have to spend time with them without the pleasure of blood to ease their tempers,"

Valentina smirked at his dark humour but deep down she knew he was right; this was going to be a tense family reunion.

"Lead the way, little vampire," Christian snapped at Elijah in frustration.

Elijah snapped his jaws at Christian, which only amused them both, before he turned and headed back into the forest.