Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Valentina looked upon the private jet dubiously; after spending the majority of her life in the dark ages, Valentina had thought herself rather adaptable to the technology of humans.

She had learnt every new technology the humans, and sometimes the supernaturals, developed and yet airplanes were the one thing Valentina could not understand and refused to accept.

Maybe it had something to do with being so far off the ground; she had never tried to kill herself from falling at such a height.

Or maybe it was because up there, she was too close to the heavens.

Either way, it was the only way to travel without spending weeks at sea and that would be intolerable.

Ascending the stairs into the charter jet, Valentina cast her eyes over the luxurious wealth that The Order had to spend on such extravagancies.

"You finally arrived," Jessica pouted up at Valentina in annoyance, sat in the leather armchair with her legs crossed, Jessica looked like the epitome of indifference but Valentina could hear the spike in her strange heartbeat.

Already in a mood that she was forced to share a plane with this creature, Valentina bared her fangs at the young girl as she passed and slipped into a chair at the back.

"It took longer to feed than usual," Christian explained, giving Valentina a look of disapproval but Valentina brushed him off.

"Yes," Valentina tilted her head at Jessica, "After your boyfriend decided to torture him, Christian needed three hookers instead of his usual two,"

Jessica whirled in her chair and glared at Valentina as she mentioned the killing of her kinsman but she surprised Valentina with her response, "Cole isn't my boyfriend!"

Valentina raised an eyebrow, "Besides, I had to change out of those God awful clothes," Valentina shivered as she remembered the way the leather stuck to her skin.

Sat in a skinny black jeans and her leather jacket zipped up the front, Valentina felt much more comfortable as her raven black hair dried naturally over her shoulders, "Why does Hollywood always put Vampires in leather?"

"They think it makes them look tough," Lucius announced his arrival onto the jet, catching the end of their conversation as he walked down the aisle, blanking Jessica who had placed a dagger against his throat.

Valentina hadn't forgotten that but Christian would hit her down the moment she tried anything and, she was loathed to admit it, but he was right.

They needed to work with The Order; it saved them having to hide from them for the foreseeable future.

"Well I applaud any vampire that can last longer than a day in the stuff," Valentina welcomed her friend, "Did you bring it?"

"Yes," Lucius reached into the rucksack that hung off his shoulder before he chucked the dagger at her, "It was right where you said it was,"

"Is that- Is that the dagger?" Jessica was almost on her feet as she tried to get closer at the fabled dagger of myth.

Valentina rolled her eyes at Jessica's school girl reaction before Valentina slid the dagger into the side of boot, sending Jessica a smile.

"I'll tell the pilot we're ready for take-off," Jessica glared at Valentina as she stood from her chair and moved to the cabin.

"Tell me again," Valentina whispered so only Christian could hear her, "Why we need her?"