Chapter 16

"Morning Zav," dad was cheerful for once, probably because he knew he had the day off and I had to go back to school. 

Facing the gang would be hard, especially what happened with Vic, I couldn't let Henry find out. I was already running late and knowing that I wouldn't be getting a ride, I had to walk, sometimes during the summer, someone thought it was a good idea to steal my bike. At least it wasn't cold so walking wasn't that bad for an autumn morning, but the thought of Henry and Vic wouldn't leave my mind.

Once I finally made it to school the bell still had four minutes, the losers were all surrounding the front door with three new members Ben, Mike, and Beverly, they probably don't want me hanging around them all anyway. 

"Hey, Zav!" Stan popped up in front of me stopping me halfway up the stairs, 

"oh, hi Stan" I was surprised that anyone from that group would even look at me, but I knew Stan wouldn't think of me any differently. 

"Umm, how was your summer? Other than us all fighting" I could tell after asking that Richie would surely stand up and say something offensive, 

"look Zav the rock war was mostly for us and Bowers, you just happened to be there and joined and then you attacked Ben and let them attack Mike not only that you let Henry shout out faggot in the whole arcade and now I can't go play street fighter without being stared at. You've wrecked all of the places we enjoyed going to, we thought you were better than that" it felt like Richie read my mind but it was all true, 

"look guys I'm sorry I've left the guys cause I wanted to do something good I want to make it up to you, I'll do anything" the boys all bit their tongues, then Beverly stood up,

 "guys answer her, she trying to make it up to you and Richie don't call her a bitch for all we know she could've been forced to hang out with Bowers" I always liked Beverly she always saw the good in most people. 

"Fine" Richie spat.

The final bell rang and there was still no sign of the boys, I spent my day stuck by Beverly's side, but she needed to leave early. I didn't ask any questions as to why. When the bell rang for the end of the second period I found a letter jammed into my locker:

'Meet outside under the large oak tree once you read this,'

H.B

After seeing the H.B I could tell who it was so without a second thought I bolted through the halls. It was a struggle with all the wandering students and teachers, being told to walk not run wasn't new but I didn't listen, and even though Henry and I hadn't spoken since his house and my incident with Vic I didn't care all I wanted was to see him.

Finally making it to the outside doors all I saw was the tree and no Henry nor anyone for that matter. I probably looked like an idiot walking round and round the tree waiting for someone to jump out at me. 

'Where could he be?' getting annoyed I went to walk inside when hands covered my eyes and mouth, 

"Hey beautiful" just hearing his voice gave me tingles, he removed his hands and let me turn around, I threw my hands around his neck knocking him down to the ground taking me with him. Words couldn't describe how it felt to be in his arms again.

It felt like forever since I'd seen him but something felt off, he was more agitated and jumpy while walking around the school, the only thought I had going through my head was his dad abusing him again.

Finally, the final bell, being inside all day stopped me from seeing the massive storm cloud covering the sky. 'shit, oh well guess I'll just have to walk' Henry and the guys had already left by the fifth period so they could all have a smoke break, the losers all rode their bikes so I was left with no choice but to walk. 

By the halfway mark I felt small droplets of water hit my face, not even seconds later hailstones started falling, one hitting me directly in the eye "fuck, that's gonna be bruised tomorrow, nothing a little make-up can fix".

Running in the rain was always something enjoyed but that was years ago.