Chapter 64 - The White Ferret

____________________________________________________________________________

She waits, seething,

Blooming.

____________________________________________________________________________

Early on a crisp morning, Betelgeuse woke up in the silent and still atmosphere of the girls' dormitory. She remained motionless for long moments, looking up at the red bed canopy, studying the folds and shadows effects of the rich and heavy brocade fabric. As she followed with her awakening grey eyes the gentle slope of the brocade, her mind wandered towards home.

Home.

She speculated on how her two favourite men fared at home, alone, without her intermediation. They were so different in character and beliefs.

Sirius was true to the ideal of a Gryffindor. He was true-hearted and bold, a fiercely loyal friend and relative. Betelgeuse smiled, reminiscing his witty, arrogant, and mischievous retorts. He was reckless, immature, and even downright irresponsible. In several instances, he and Betelgeuse had risked getting caught by the Muggle public security because he had suggested fascinating plans that had revealed to be crazy and slightly illegal choices. 

Betelgeuse's smile dimmed as she remembered what her father had said. Much of Sirius' attitude had to be attributed to the vast amount of time spent in jail. That most likely had stunted his emotional growth and made him especially eager to spend time with and protect his loved ones.

Betelgeuse fiercely loved him, nonetheless. He could grow and mature alongside her; she would support and encourage him with all her being. Morgana knows what he had gone through and how capable of withstanding long periods of emotional torture and despair he was.

Her uncle was a wonder.

Betelgeuse's thoughts shifted to the other man of House Black.

Her father. She missed him terribly. She could not feel nostalgic about the man of whom she was the perfect carbon copy. They shared not only similarities in their physical appearance but also in their peculiar personality.

Regulus Black was a true Slytherin at heart, with his ambitious, shrewd, and cunning nature. He was a skilled and achievement-oriented wizard. Betelgeuse recognised how deeply developed his sense of self-preservation was. Her father hesitated before acting; he weighed all possible outcomes before choosing what should be done.

In this, he was the exact opposite of her uncle. But the girl had grasped from a very tender age how her father possessed bravery, chivalry, and honesty that no one could match. And thus had all the traits required for a true Gryffindor. She trusted him with her whole life and would follow him to the Gates of Tartarus if necessity arose.

Betelgeuse profoundly pitied Kreacher. That unfortunate elf was in the crossfire, attempting to pacify two men that bickered even on the colour of the socks Sirius should wear.

I pity and do not envy poor Kreacher.

With that last thought, the girl got up and dressed in the pale dawn light, left the dormitory without waking Alicia, Angelina, or Katie, and went back down to the deserted Common Room.