Chapitre Un: Seasons Change

After listening to Samantha scream and run around my room mumbling to herself like a madwoman I decided it was time to make a break for it. I got up and her head snapped in my direction like a blood hound on acid.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Ummm...To the bathroom to shower?" I squeaked out freezing where I was. Her brows furrowed and she glared at me suspiciously.

"Good."

I sighed in defeat and ran to my bathroom getting under the relaxing shower head.

Slowly washing my hair and taking time to pamper myself was just me trying to delay my run in with the crazy creature I called my roommate. Who was now probably throwing my stuff around probably contemplating setting my wardrobe on fire. I sighed and rinsed my hair got out the shower and padding into my room. My eyes ran away from my face seeing what was laid out on my bed waiting on me while my best friend wore a huge satisfied smile on her face.

"Sam... What is that?" She smiled like the Cheshire cat scrunching her face up slightly as if I was asking a stupid question.

"What do you mean what is it? It's your costume."

" I'm not wearing that!" I said looking back at her; I turned my back and started drying my hair.

" What do you mean you aren't wearing it?!"

"I mean I'm not putting whatever that is on my body Sam. Reason one, there's no way that came out of my closet and reason two because I'm positive that barely passes my thighs!"

"Yes. You. Are. Of course, it didn't come out of your closet you have nothing in there Mara.... Plus, it's actually sexy..." She muttered the last bit and before I could say anything she started up again. "Plus, it's Halloween you're normally all covered up like a nun, no one knows you actually look like a goddess under all the flannel and huge sweatshirts you wear." She pouted and gave me puppy eyes and looked at me, I groaned looking away. "NO, SAM"

"B-But Mara peasssss" she whined like a three-year-old. I frowned knowing I was going to give in; I hate that, this is why Sam has a boyfriend and I don't. I refuse to do baby talk and act like a kid so a guy will think I'm cute and let me have my way.

" THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'M LETTING YOU DRESS ME" She squealed and pushed me into the chair in front of my vanity." I'm so excited! You are going to look awesome!" She said squealing for the fiftieth time as she grabbed my brush and I officially became her barbie doll. She blow-dried my hair then turned me away from the mirror she picked up scissors and my eyes widened.

"What are you-" She cut my hair "SAM!"

"Relax Mara you need your ends cut and a new style anyway."

"What the hell?! You think asking me if it was OK first would have been appropriate?" She shrugged and began evening out my haircut my eyebrow twitched in irritation this was a terrible idea "I should have never agreed to this."

PREVIOUS DAY

Ring....Ring...Ring...

Click

"Hey this is Samantha what's up?"

"Hey Sam it's Mara..."

"How? Fudge nuggets Mara! Are you..."

"I'm okay...Sam I just missed you. Are you going to be busy tomorrow? I want to catch up...If that's okay?" I hadn't talked to Sam in three months, I haven't seen anyone in three months honestly because I haven't left my apartment at all unless it was at night about three feet out my door to our trash shoot.

"Mara sweetie you there?" she asked tentatively apparently, I had stopped listening.

"Mhmm"

"Do you want to come to mine for Halloween? I'm going to come over get your costume and we can get you dressed and leave."

I frowned my eyebrows knitting together. "Are you having a party Sam?"

She sighed knowing I was always reluctant to go to parties since the incident. "It's just a small one with a couple of people it will be fun I promise-" I internally kicked myself in the butt for not seeing the coming I didn't even realize tomorrow was Halloween. She was still trying to convince me, so I decided put on my big girl panties on and woman up.

"I'll go Sam."

"And I'll kick anyone who--W-wait what? You'll come?" She said disbelief clear in her voice.

"Yes, I'll go Sam"

"Really?! Oh my gosh Mara I promise you won't regret it! I missed you so much we're going to have a great time." I smiled realizing how chuffed she at the fact that I actually said yes to the idea.

PRESENT

"All done you look innocently ravishing Samara."

She spun my chair so I was facing the vanity while she attached the halo that was a part of my costume to my hair. My face looked so refreshed and innocent, I now had bangs that gave my eyes the Bambi effect. They were a piercing blue under the black eyeliner she'd applied to my eyelids. My hair looked soft and was straight then curled at the ends making me look like a doll my lips were gradient from deep pink at the center of my lips into a soft natural pink the further away it went from the center of my mouth. I was honestly stunned at myself.

"Perfect" She folded her arms proud of her work and her eyes gleamed as she got out a strapless bra and my Halloween costume she bought and brought with her. She held it out to me "Put it on Mara."

I looked at it hesitating it looked like Tinkerbell's dress with long sleeve and a V cut it stopped just a few inches above my knees and I looked her skeptically. She frowned and her brow knitted "Do you want me to put it on too?"

"I GOT IT!" I grabbed it bolted it to the bathroom threw it on without looking grabbed a coat threw it on without looking at it twice. Before I took the costume off and jumped into my bed instead. I put on the white ankle boots she had taken out my closet and frowned when she handed me a white mask.

"I thought you'd feel more comfortable if everyone didn't gawk at you...Like you can see them but they can't see you kind of deal" I smiled at her. As pushy as Samantha was she was always protecting me in her own way. I reached out and hugged her she hugged me back and she sniffled I chuckled a little because she was dressed as a sexy biker chick with the fake sleeve and all.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"As I'll ever be, it's now or never." We left and I shut my apartment door looking the door and turned my back on the door that had separated me from the real world for so long.

In life you don't truly pay attention; When the season change and when the sun sets and the trees lose their leaves. We forget that we are very much like those leaves we grow, we get blown away by the weather, beaten, regrow and eventually we die. Without truly realizing it we are affected by so many entities we have no control over. Like our fates have already been decided for us, and in that moment, we forget to live. We stop trying to enjoy life because we don't know how to anymore.