Ch. 12

Warm, fresh, and mouth-watering smells wafted under the crack in my door as I finished dressing for the day. Looking in the mirror, I frowned, testing my tough face out with the black pants and dark green tunic. While yesterday I had been trying for the polished, confident look of a lady, today I wanted the fighter to show. The tunic's sleeves were tight enough to show off my muscles without being constraining, and I hoped my taller-than-average height would sell the idea that I shouldn't be messed with. Deeming my appearance stern and professional enough to appear in front of the council members, I followed the wishes of my grumbling stomach and stepped into the main room to find a spread of breakfast items.

Blueberry muffins, warm bread, pancakes, sausages, fruit, and tea decorated the table, and, wait, was that bacon adorning the end of the table like a bright summer day? Rushing over, I began filling a plate, grabbing a handful of bacon. Biting into a piece, I groaned as the flavor filled my mouth and reached for the fruit only to pause as a soft ahem sounded behind me.

"Excuse me, my lady," a worker murmured as he set the table. Heat filled my cheeks as I realized my brusqueness.

"Sorry, I didn't notice you," I said, putting the bacon back down. He did not respond as he finished setting the plates and silverware out, though I noted his thin frame, his wan features, the way his hand paused in front of his stomach as if it hurt.

"Are you hungry? Here, have a muffin. There is certainly no way we can finish all of this," I said, extending a muffin toward the worker.

His eyes widened, and he took a step back, waving his hands in front of him. "No, no, I am fine. I already ate." The want in his eyes and his grumbling stomach gave away the lie, but before I could press him again, Nourse and Ern came out of their rooms and the worker was gone.

"They certainly know 'ow to give out a feast!" exclaimed Ern, taking half of the remaining bacon and sausages and shoving them in his mouth. How dainty.

Nourse took his time selecting his food, carefully arranging it on his plate so that each item had its own little space, ever the organized and sophisticated leader. Even his bites were polite, refined, as if he had been taught how to eat without getting a crumb on himself. I wondered if he had learned such things as a guard to the Prince.

After letting us get the edge off of our hunger, Nourse took out a sheet of paper and ink. "What ideas did you think of last night?"

"I still think a bit o' roughin' 'em up will fix it," said Ern. "Teach 'em to keep ta their own side." I rolled my eyes, not surprised that Ern was not able to come up with something more creative. Though I saw Nourse write the suggestion down. Surely he was just humoring Ern.

"Thea, what about you?"

I set my cup of tea down, gathering my thoughts. "I still believe that people are stealing these items because they cannot afford what they need."

"Great, but how's that fixin' the problem?" interrupted Ern. Nourse shot him a look, silencing him, and I continued, ignoring his outburst.

"What if the poor were to get jobs in the shops helping the owners? They could be paid in food or money. Plus, they would be less likely to steal from an area that they are in charge of."

"Do you think the shopkeepers would agree to this?" questioned Nourse, eyebrows scrunched.

"Surely it's better than having their shops broken into and pilfered. Besides, think of that man we saw yesterday. He was trying to get food, probably because he could not afford to feed his family. The bread ended up in the trash anyway." Nourse nodded, writing the idea down. We continued brainstorming ideas for the next half hour before Nourse stood, telling us it was time to go and to leave the talking to him.