Ch. 23

With no windows, we were unable to see exactly where we were going, though Jax soon figured out he could tie a flap back so we could at least see where we'd been. It seemed that we were heading farther into the city and in an easterly direction. The wheels clattered noisily as we bumped down the road.

The narrow, cobbled streets of the shopping district soon gave way to open roads surrounded by sweeping lawns and landscaped terraces. With the big, fluffy white clouds floating in the blue sky and a slight breeze blowing across the grass, it was hard to believe we were still in a city. Obviously, this was where the wealthy lived. Every time we passed something of note, such as a statue of a cow or an elegant white house with pillars and hedges, Jax wrote it down in a little notebook. Part of the escape plan, I would presume.

"How'd you not get that taken from you?" I asked as Jax once again wrote a note down after passing a small duck pond.

"Sometimes it is all about what you want to make the other person see," replied Jax, "but you already knew that, didn't you, Thea?" I flushed, placing a hand on the knife that was still tucked away in my waistband.

"You may want to move that item to your boot so it does not accidentally fall out of your pants," observed Jax.

"How'd you know I kept the knife?" I asked in exasperation as I took it out of my waistband and inserted it into the top of my boot, careful to keep it sheathed. "I thought I was being sneaky."

"Oh, you were, and you certainly fooled the jailor. A ranger, however, always marks what others have on them, and this ranger noticed a particular knife with a beautifully carved green handle missing from the pile." Jax swept an open hand into the air and launched into another story praising the greatness of all rangers, especially himself. Instead of my typical response of rolled eyes, I sat back, crossed my arms, and closed my eyes, letting his soothing voice and the rocking of the wagon lull me to sleep.

"Thea, wake up! We're here!" Jax fiercely whispered into my ear. My eyes snapped open at once to see Jax's face inches from mine. I sprang up, a yell coming out of my throat as my right hand formed a fist. Only the pain from the sprained wrist woke me up enough to stop me from punching Jax in the face.

"Don't do that!" I yelled, letting my hand drop.

"Sorry, sorry!" Jax said, holding up his hands. "I just wanted to let you know that we have arrived. And..." He looked away, pursing his lips.

"And what?" I said, a bite in my voice.

"You were whimpering in your sleep."

Now it was my turn to look away. Though I couldn't remember what I had dreamed about, I felt uneasy, though that might have been because I woke up to Jax's too-close-for-comfort face. Jax tried to ask me a question, but I held a hand up, asking for silence. To my surprise, Jax respected my request.

Looking out the small opening in the back, I saw that we had passed through a gate, its metal fence stretching farther than I could see. Metal, huh? This man must be very rich in order to afford such a luxury. That or he held a title of some kind, though he hadn't introduced himself with one, and most people are sure to tell you that sort of information upon introduction. Especially when one is addressing a servant. I wondered what type of cases he took as a lawyer. Obviously, he was a pretty good one.

The wagon pulled up outside of the entrance to the house. The hulking guard tersely ordered us out, leering as Jax and I exited the wagon. I barely came up to the man's chest, and even Jax stood a head shorter. Shuddering, I turned toward our master's house.

"House" was not a big or grand enough term for the beautiful monstrosity that stood in front of us. "Mansion" was more accurate, but even this mansion was bigger and grander than most. It dwarfed Marduk's mansion, making it seem no bigger than a fly was to a horse. Built out of red brick with tan trimming, vines covering the sides, the place looked like it had jumped out of a fairy tale, though I doubted any fairy godmothers or princes would come out to greet us. Flowers of all colors, shapes, and sizes decorated the front. A gardener was working on one flower bed now, tearing out weeds and watering the flowers.