Ch. 49

As we approached the fort, I tensed. Prince Solas felt me stiffen.

"Do not fear, Thea, as long as you stay with me, all will be taken care of," he whispered into my ear.

"It's not me that I'm worried about," I replied. The Prince's arms tightened around me, offering comfort.

What had happened to Shay and my brother? Did the Dragon's army follow me, or had some remained behind to finish them off? I shivered even pressed against the Prince's warmth.

We had headed northeast, getting out of sight of the Dragon's army, before turning back west and following the Avery River north. We crossed a narrow bridge over the river, heading toward the fort. At no point did I see any trace of the Dragon's army. They were probably scratching their heads in confusion as to what had happened to me. I was too tired and too grateful to the Prince to feel any happiness at their predicament. It was now night, and the moon shone brightly in the sky, dimming the stars around it. Not that I noticed. Even if the moon and stars were covered, the only light I needed was right beside me.

Ugh, was I going to be thinking cliche romantic slop now? However, I found that I didn't mind, not after everything he had done for me.

Prince Solas slowed, bringing his horse to a stop about a quarter mile before the gates.

"Thea, before we return, you need to know what you will encounter. There will be consequences for your actions." I began shaking again. Had I finally learned what brought real life only to lose my own so quickly? The Prince put a hand on my shoulder and rubbed my back. "The good news is that because you are now mine, you are under my protection. There will be a trial, and you will appear before my Father on the throne. If your heart is sincere in giving your life to me, my grace will cover you. That said, you will have to face part of the consequences of your actions. Mostly, you are banned to your room and will have a guard escort you everywhere. Do you understand?"

That was it? The trial didn't sound fun, but if the Prince said he would cover me, then I would trust his words. I nodded. "Prince, I deserve death for what I did. It was subversion and treason. I will bear the consequences of my actions."

"Spoken like a true soldier," the Prince said, spurring his horse into a quick walk. We rode in silence the last quarter mile, me lost in thought. I had much to atone for, and though I knew the Prince's grace would save me from death, there were still people I owed an apology to.

There were also people I needed to forgive, and I finally understood what Merium had been talking about when she said that forgiveness is not about letting the other person get away with their actions but about letting go of my bitterness and anger. I had killed the bearded man, who was responsible for a large part of my suffering, yet I felt no satisfaction at his death. If anything there was an empty, dark hole in the place I had kept my anger. I longed to fill it with something good, and I knew that good thing was sitting right behind me.

The guards saluted as we entered the fort, and a trumpet sounded, marking the Prince's return. To my surprise, the Prince guided his horse directly to the stables, waving off the stable hand.

We both dismounted, and Prince Solas led his horse into a stall and began to care for him. I helped, hanging up the reins, saddle, and blanket, and then returned to help with the grooming. Prince Solas found oats, and I stroked his horse's mane absentmindedly.

As we prepared to leave, I said, "Wait." Prince Solas turned, an eyebrow raised. I untied the green hunting dagger and held it out to him. "I am sure part of my consequences include stripping me of all weapons." The Prince nodded. "Even if that were not the rule, I want to give you this. I was awarded it after winning a contest at the Keep, and it is the only item I have managed to hold onto that I can call my own. I carried the dagger with much pride. However, I don't want it anymore. It served as a symbol of my strength and skill, but when the darkness came, it was not the dagger that saved me." I took a breath, feeling my cheeks redden. "No, it took something much more powerful than my own skill to save me. Now, I only want to rely on that power for the rest of my life."