Ch. 18

A rough hand shook me awake. "Get up. It's time to go," said Nourse, towering over me. He was already dressed, adjusting his riding gloves. A sliver of sunlight lit the room.

"The sun's barely up. Why do we need to be moving so early?" I turned over, covering my head with the blanket. Nourse yanked it off.

"I thought you grew up on a farm."

"Doesn't mean I like mornings," I muttered, sitting up and stretching. "Why in such a hurry? The shops can't be open yet."

"This town makes me uneasy. It's better we finish our business and leave," replied Nourse. "Meet me downstairs in twenty minutes."

I stumbled into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. The room was nice enough to have running water, which I took full advantage of. Dressed and feeling much cleaner, I headed downstairs.

"We've got trouble," murmured Nourse, handing me a chunk of bread and motioning to the window. Outside, a group of men armed with clubs and swords stood waiting.

"They're here for us?" I asked. I took Nourse's silence as confirmation. Rourke and Mitch's words from last night echoed in my head. It seemed not everyone was happy with the protection Marduk offered.

"The Prince's influence must be spreading. We need to report back." Nourse looked me in the eyes. "Follow my lead, and do not engage unless instructed. Understood?"

I nodded.

Nourse loosened his sword, but did not draw; I did the same.

Opening the door, Nourse strolled casually out, giving the gathered men a smile. It came out as more of a grimace, but at least he was trying.

"Morning, gentlemen. Nice day for hunting, isn't it?"

"If you mean hunting our families and shopkeepers and bleedin' 'em dry, then I'd have to disagree with you," one of the men said, stepping forward. He carried a club, which he kept spinning in his big, meaty hand. Heat rose through me. Surely Nourse did not take that much.

"Would you rather be forced to leave your families to fight in a ridiculous war?" I voiced aloud.

"Look, the lassie's got teeth," yelled a man. The group chuckled. Nourse silenced my retort with a glare.

"We do not want any trouble. Let us pass, and you will not be harmed."

"Leave now, and we'll honor yer request," the lead man said, raising his chin. Shouts of "Leave now!" "Let our families alone!" and "Long live Prince Solas!" sounded from the crowd. Nourse straightened, raising his voice for everyone to hear him clearly.

"You are under the protection of Marduk, promoter for the ending of this war. If you wish to remain on peaceful terms, then you will step aside and let us do our jobs. Any action hindering us will be reported, and you will fall."

"You call coming 'ere every year to take what we've earned and not givin' us so much as a spear protection?" someone called. Jeers and shouts backed up his words.

"Guess there's nothin' more to talk 'bout," the lead man said. With a shout, he charged, his club aimed to smash Nourse's skull. With a flash of steel, Nourse blocked and disarmed the man.

"Thea, run to the stables and get the horses," he said, blocking another attack.

"But what about you?" I asked, defending myself. These men might be hunters, but they weren't trained fighters.

"I can hold them off, but we need the horses to get out of here. Go!" shouted Nourse, pushing me away.

"What about our payments? The mule?"