Ch. 54

I stared at the woman in the mirror. She looked so regal, so put-together, so beautiful. When was the last time I had felt that way?

A warm sea breeze blew in through the window, celebrating the first day of spring, though gray, stormy skies cast a pallor on the waters. It had been raining earlier this morning while the maids prepared me, and while it had stopped, the cloudy sky remained.

Wearing a simple white gown that shimmered in the light, the sleeves tapering to a point over the back of the hands, the bride turned at the sound of her mother's voice.

"You look beautiful, Thea."

I self-consciously tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. The rest of my hair was in an elaborate updo full of curls and braids and strands of small white flowers called snowdrops. The maids had wanted to do more, but after much pleading on my part to keep things simple, they relented.

Mom smacked my hand away from my face. "Don't ruin your makeup, dear." She looked me over, adjusting and poofing anything she could find. It was like she was more nervous than me about this day. Looking at my face, she tsked. "They could have done a better job covering up your scars."

"They tried, but I asked them to let the scars show." I turned back to the mirror, noting the thin white line on each cheek. The scars were the only sign that confirmed the person in the mirror was me. "Prince Solas offered to heal them once."

Mom's voice was hesitant, as if realizing she was trodding on unstable ground. "Why did you refuse?"

I kept my gaze in the mirror. "Then, it was because I didn't fully trust him. Now, they are reminders of what I have been through and the mistakes I made, but most of all, they are reminders of how deep his love is. He told me that regardless of how I look, his love will never change. It is for that same reason I refused a veil."

"Oh, Thea. I did not mean to imply you were anything less than perfect. I will watch what I say better. I just want this day to be flawless for you."

"It already is, Mom." I couldn't stop a smile from spreading across my face as I pictured who would be standing at the end of the aisle.

"I only wish your father were here. He should be the one walking you down the aisle."

My smile faded. "Dad being gone will always be hard, but we know he would be overjoyed about this day."

Mom's face softened, happiness replacing the lines of worry on her face before she suddenly straightened, reaching into her shoulder bag. "Almost forgot why I came in here." She pulled out a sash in a brilliant gold color, and tied it around my hips where I normally carried my sword.

A sash was a symbol of a warrior, a soldier, and the color was based on what part of the army one served in, though it was tradition that only men wore the sash when in dress uniform.

"It was actually the Prince's idea," admitted Mom after my exclamations. "He insisted that you should wear this as a reminder of your promise."

The promise that I would fight and serve him for the rest of my days. Though a simple gesture, the gift grounded me, reminding me who I was: a person chosen and loved.

"I also have a gift for you," I said, handing a small white box to Mom. "Now is as good a time as any."

Mom arched her brows as she accepted the gift, easing the lid open. Exclamations sounded as she lifted the purple glass crocus up to the light. "Oh, Thea, it's beautiful, and it's my favorite color!"

My heart twanged with happiness at her reaction, though sorrow also filled me at the memory of who helped ensure the safe delivery. Nourse. Today would also commemorate all those who went before me.