Ch. 52

As we exited the carriage and climbed up the stairs to the governor's house (really, more of a mansion), I could not shake off a sense of foreboding. Though we had protested the carriage, pearly white with not a speck of dirt on its paint, the carriage driver was insistent, even though the governor's house was only a little over a quarter of a mile away. And he was nervous. He kept repeating that it would be easier for everyone, including himself, if we would simply accept the gracious ride the governor had set up. In the end, we accepted because we didn't want to see the poor driver sweat through his shirt.

Footmen opened the doors, ushering us into a grand hallway and taking our cloaks. Originally built as a castle fortress centuries ago, recent renovations ordered by the current governor had morphed the once drafty, cold building into a luxurious palace. My hands shook as I realized what most of our tax money had gone to. I was looking forward to hearing how the governor would explain this.

We followed the butler past the grand staircase and into the banquet hall, which contained a long table filled with fancy plates, cups, and silverware. At the head of the table sat the governor, his wife and young children sitting to his right.

The butler cleared his throat and said in a booming voice, "May I present Sara, Devin, and Thea Iarrthoir, Shay Devey, and..." he paused, suddenly realizing he did not know one of our party.

"Gabriel," the Prince's guard said.

"Surname?" the servant asked in an undertone.

"Gabriel will do fine."

The servant let out a huff, clearly displeased, before announcing, "and Gabriel!"

So the presence of Gabriel was unexpected. This could be good. It was obvious the governor had planned for our arrival, as the servant knew all of our names, so he had probably planned for our questions, too. Perhaps Gabriel could help disrupt his plan.

The governor stood, smiling. A tall, well-built, handsome man with graying temples, the governor looked the perfect picture of a capable and wise ruler, but I saw through his unctuous smile. Marduk's smile. Though the governor was the very image of competent and caring, appearances were deceiving.

"Welcome, welcome! It is good to see you," he said, pulling out the chairs for us to sit in. His voice carried the singsong lilt known to the people of this island. He motioned for me to sit on his left. "Your guard may stand against the wall while we eat."

Guard? I looked around before realizing he meant Gabriel.

"Oh, Gabriel isn't our guard. I mean, he is a guard to the Prince, but he is with us as a friend and equal," I replied, patting the empty seat next to me for Gabriel.

The governor's lip curled briefly before he caught himself. He turned toward a servant. "One more place setting, then. Allow me to introduce everyone. This is my wife, Jezel, and my three children," the governor said, sweeping a hand toward the family. "My name, as you probably know, is Cumhacht Ghaoth." His attempt at being a man of the people made me want to roll my eyes, but instead I managed a small smile, though it probably came out as more of a grimace.

The servant returned with another table setting and asked if we were ready for the first course, to which the governor nodded.

A stream of servants carrying various dishes of soups, salads, fruits, and breads swarmed the table, filling the air with tantalizing smells. I was amazed to see the variety - most of this food would have had to be shipped in. Across the table, Jezel engaged Mom, Shay, and Devin in conversation.

"I trust you found your accommodations adequate?" The governor looked at me, arching a brow.

"We have not had much time to get settled, but the house is very nice," I replied. Now it was time to butter him up in order to see how far his vanity went. "It was also thoughtful of you to place my mother next door."