Ch. 20

Wolves, howling, a set of sinister blue eyes, and broken promises haunted my dreams. An aching pain throbbed in my hand, saving me from any more nightmares.

Though the situation I woke to might as well have been one.

No supplies. No money. An injured dominant arm and a horse who would not be ready for anyone to ride for several weeks. I looked over at Kynthelig standing to the side, his flank quivering as if he had been having nightmares of his own. He let out a low nicker on seeing me awake.

Groaning, careful not to disturb the sling on my right arm, I stroked Kynthelig's mane and neck, attempting to soothe him. I checked his wounds. No festering or oozing. That was good.

"You'll be back to shape in no time," I whispered in his ear. At least one of us would be. This arm and shoulder would heal, but the full extent of what I had lived through was only now starting to hit me, and those types of injuries would take a long time to be right. If they ever fully healed. As if sensing my downcast mood, Kynthelig swung his head around, placing it on my shoulder. I hugged his neck tightly.

"Good to see that you're awake," Jax said. I turned to find him bearing a broad smile and two freshly killed rabbits. "Breakfast?"

"I need to be going," I replied.

"On an empty stomach? Come, at least have a few bites."

I was about to refuse again when my stomach rumbled louder than an angry wasp. Traitor. "Fine. But I'm leaving, alone, after breakfast."

All through the meal Jax jabbered. Anything and everything became a topic for conversation from the way the grass moved in the wind to the fluffy white clouds in the sky to what a great hunter he was and how he had shot these rabbits with perfect shots through the eyes. Normally, I would have been annoyed at such pointless and boastful talk, but his willingness to prattle meant I didn't have to, and it kept my mind off of other things. Darker things.

Besides, I had bigger battles to face.

Such as how to eat this rabbit with a clumsy left hand without looking like a fool. Every time I attempted to pick a piece up with a fork, part of it fell off, splattering juice everywhere. Pretty soon my shirt was covered in rabbit juice. So attractive. If Jax saw my struggle, he did not comment. Finally, figuring my shirt could not stand much more abuse, I abandoned the fork and just used my hand, not caring if it made my manners look like I had been raised in a barn. Jax also did not comment on that. At least he seemed to have some sense in his head.

As he continued to talk, I tuned him out, trying to think of a plan for today. First, I would have to retrace my steps and retrieve my bag, saddle, and bow. Though I would not be able to ride Kynthelig for a while, and the walk back home would be awful, at least there was some money and supplies in the bag. I could find a nearby town and purchase a map. It would not do to get lost again.

I looked over at Jax to thank him for breakfast and inform him I was leaving only to find him already looking at me, his brows raised. Shoot, how long had he been staring at me like that?

"Did you ask me something?" I asked, attempting to cover my lack of attention.

"Yes, I asked how you planned on getting around."

"I will have to walk, obviously."

"And if those wolves come back? What will you do then?" His question was one I had been avoiding, the only flaw in my otherwise sound plan.

"Obviously I would fight them off," I replied, putting on a haughty and fierce face.

Jax didn't buy it as he squinted at me. "Riiiight. So you'll fight off an entire pack with a weak arm, an injured horse, and your cunning mind."