Ch. 51

As we approached the island, I found myself fidgeting in the saddle, my hands switching the reins back and forth and my heels twitching. My horse, picking up on my unease, shook its head.

"What are you so nervous about?" Shay asked, trotting her horse up to my side, leaving the Prince to guard the rear.

"Nervous? Please. I don't have anything to be nervous about," I replied, flicking loose hair back from my face. "I really need to work on my braiding skills. I understand why you like to keep your hair short."

Shay raised an eyebrow, unfazed by my attempts at a subject change. I sighed.

"Fine. I am a little worried about seeing my mom after so many months. Plus the other townspeople." I gazed over my shoulder toward where the town of Tosach used to stand. "It's my fault our town was destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to even look at me."

"Thea, Marduk destroying the town was an act of evil that you had no control over. You know this! When are you going to accept it?"

"That may be true, but do the townspeople believe that? The old me wouldn't have."

"The old you wouldn't be riding with the Prince, your fiance," Shay retorted. "Don't worry about what the others think. It won't matter because you're with the Prince now, and regardless of what other people may say, you know who you are - one of the Prince's chosen." With a flick of the reins, Shay trotted ahead to ride alongside Devin at the front.

I let her words sink in. I had not anticipated that seeing Mom and the others would be difficult, that breaking out of the mold they saw me in would cause me unrest until I saw the distant spires of the castle in the distance. But Shay was correct - I could do nothing about what others thought of me. My strength came from the one currently guarding my back; even though I could not see him now, I knew he would always be mine, and I his.

Slowing my horse down, I waited for the Prince and Gabriel to catch up with me.

"Do you really need to leave so soon? Can't you stay at least a day?" I asked, unable to hide the slight whine in my voice.

"There is too much that needs to be done before we can wed," Prince Solas replied. "However, Gabriel can stay with you and the others if you desire extra protection." Gabriel looked at the Prince with surprise, but held his tongue.

"I doubt we will need extra protection on the island," I replied, attempting to save Gabriel from this duty.

"If I may offer my counsel, Thea," Gabriel said, his deep voice commanding and resonant. "It would be prudent to have an extra set of objective eyes."

I blinked, not quite grasping what Gabriel meant. "Wait, you want to come with me? I figured you would want to stay with the Prince, seeing as you are his personal guard."

"That is true. However, my lord has requested I serve and protect you. If that is his command, then I will follow it."

I glanced at Prince Solas, who nodded his head slightly in encouragement. "Very well, I will accept your offer if it pleases my lord."

Gabriel laughed outright at my words. I felt my face redden. "Forgive me, Thea. I never thought I would hear you speak so humbly and well. When we first met, I thought the Prince had made a mistake, even knowing that was impossible. It is heartening to see how much you have grown."

I smiled. "To be fair, I thought you were nothing more than a lap dog to the Prince, doing everything he commanded without question. Now I wish I had followed your example."

Gabriel smiled. "Ah, but you are stronger for the trials you faced." That may be true, but I was realizing more and more that many of those trials were due to my own stubbornness and pride.