Ch. 42

"Form up, form up!"

"Quickly now, we have much ground to cover today!"

"Attach that cart carefully. Wouldn't want it to break again."

The sounds of the hustle and bustle of tearing down camp surrounded me as I worked with others to fold up tents, harness horses, and secure the various items in various wagons. For only consisting of about a hundred fifty people, the Prince's company seemed to have a lot to carry.

I hadn't been able to talk to Shay about last night or even attempt to apologize as Merium had set us straight to work. We hadn't even been able to eat breakfast. Apparently, we would stop later for an early lunch. Seeing my ravenous face, she had handed me some crackers to hold me over. I was about to shove them all into my mouth when I noticed that no one else had anything to eat, and what was more, they seemed fine. Merium's words I had overheard last night about me not being ready for the harder missions echoed in my mind, and I had slipped the crackers into a pocket, not wanting to appear needy and weak. If skipping one meal was what was required to improve, then that was what I was going to do.

Finally, everything was set, and we moved off, moving in formation with our platoons. When I say formation, I do not mean tight, disciplined lines filled with marching soldiers. Each platoon had their own place and banner, but that really only meant that we had to stay in that general area. The symbol of the Sanctification Squad was a potter's hands molding clay on a spinning wheel.

Morale was high as people laughed and talked about various things. In the east, the sun had just finished clearing the horizon, casting the land in a golden hue. With the mountains standing guard like regal sentries and the forest surrounding us, it was a splendid sight. The army moved through the ravine, climbing a steep hill and keeping to the clearing so that the horses and wagons could pass through. The cavalry platoons rode at the front and in the rear to act as a shield should we be attacked, and the foot soldiers filled in between the two. In the middle walked the support team consisting of cooks, blacksmiths, and horses carting supplies. I learned they called themselves the Invisible Shield Platoon for the strength and protection they provided through food and weapons, though they were also trained to fight. Naturally, their banner was an outline of a shield.

We were marching south and a little west with the intent to be clear of the mountain range and into the start of the vast plains that stretched across the middle of the continent by midmorning. As we marched, a song was started, and the others joined in with various amounts of musical ability. Everyone seemed to know all of the words, and they sang with a fierce joy on their faces. Baffled, I listened, trying to make out what they were saying.

Praise the one, o, sing his praise

For the love he's shown, our souls he raised

He came back to life to bring us home

No more will our wand'ring hearts roam

Wait a moment... they were praising the Prince! When one song ended, another began. I tried to join in as best as I could, but soon I just focused on listening to the others as I was unable to keep up. That, and I didn't have much of a singing voice. Worry filled me as I wondered who could hear us. It was not like we were safe back in the Prince's territory. Though the Dragon's Keep was far to the west, we were still in Marduk's territory, and I wasn't sure being loud was the smartest idea.

"Isn't this great?" Shay asked as she bounded to my side. Apparently, she had forgotten about our argument last night. If she could do so, then so would I.

"Isn't anyone worried that this much noise will attract unwanted attention?" I asked, glancing around. Our platoon was stationed on the right edge of the army, giving us a clear view of our surroundings.