xv. narrative & social media

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐
CO-STARS
FIFTEEN
L. PARTRIDGE
└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘

Penelope woke up, feeling well seventeen. That was the most she could feel about her morning after waking up to zero texts, calls, not even a mention on instagram from her friends.

She couldn't believe none of them had said a single thing about her birthday. She assumed it had something to do with them blowing her off for the past two weeks.

Penelope couldn't understand why they all just decided to drop her all of a sudden. Even Louis wasn't texting her as much anymore. And he would non-stop text her all them time.

There was a soft knock at Penelope's door. Lily entered with a cupcake on a saucer in one hand and a small gift in the other.

"Happy Birthday to you!" Lily sing-songed.

Penelope covered her head with her comforter. As embarrassing as it was to hear Lily sing, she always seemed to have impeccable timing when Penelope needed cheering up.

"...happy birthday to yooouuuu!" She finished.

"Good thing you're a model and not a singer." Penelope said from under the covers.

"Hey! My singing is amazing."

"Thank you." Penelope uncovered her head.

Lily kissed the top of Penelope's head and lit the candle on top of the cupcake. Penelope accepted the cupcake and closed her eyes to make a wish.

"What'd you wish for?" The older sibling asked as Penelope blew out her candle.

"If I told you it wouldn't come true." Penelope licked some icing off the top.

"Well I hope you wished for a shopping spree and lunch, because that's what we're doing!"

"Can we just stay home this year?"

"No? Now get your butt up." Lily commanded. "Can we just stay home this year?" She murmured on her way out of Penelope's room.

Penelope sighed and got out of bed. She kept trying to tell herself that she shouldn't let her friends ruin her birthday, but it wasn't that simple.

Penelope got dressed up in a nice white top and her favorite light wash jeans. She didn't want to look too casual, but didn't want her outfit to scream 'Everyone look it's my Birthday'. Lily was already downstairs, keys ready in hand.

"You look beautiful my love!" Lily beamed.

"Thank you." Penelope smiled.

They got into Lily's car and were off for the day. Their first stop - Penelope's favorite place - the park trail that was a few blocks from their house.

It reminded her of New York, Central Park specifically. It's where her mom lived, and also where she lived for most of her life. She hadn't seen her mom in quite sometime and missed that small piece of home.