xxxiii. narrative

┌─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┐
CO-STARS
THIRTY-THREE
L. PARTRIDGE
└─────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───────┘

Emily and Penelope were hanging out upstairs in Penelope's room watching The Vampire Diaries. Everything was seemingly going smoothly.

It was a little awkward at first once they both realized that they now had much different interests and hobbies from when they were 13 and 14. But one thing that remained consistent was their undying love for cheesy vampire romance.

Emily glanced over at Penelope, focused on watching the show in front of them. Now was the time, she's distracted. Emily cleared her throat.

"Hey Nelle? Do you think I could borrow your phone, I wanted to check in at home, but my phone died." She asked in a soft tone.

Penelope reached over on her left and grabbed her phone off the nightstand. "Of course," she smiled sweetly, "and there's a charger on your right if you need to charge yours too."

Emily nodded and quickly powered off her phone so it'd look dead. She had to be careful about this, one wrong move and her entire cover was blown.

As she was reaching for Penelope's phone, she noticed a shiny piece of metal glistening on her ring finger. No way, she's way too young to be engaged.

"It's a uhm, promise ring!" Penelope interrupted Emily's thoughts as if she was able to hear them.

"H-He gave you a promise ring?" Emily looked quite stunned.

Penelope brushed her thumb over the ring lightly, "Yeah, when I went to go see him for the holiday, he took me on a date and gave it to me."

"I mean... honestly I don't- I don't really think I deserve it."

Emily couldn't believe what she was hearing. This arrogant, entitled, brat - actually the other b word - that Lizzie had made her out to be, was talking down on herself?

People don't just give promise rings to anyone. It has to be given to someone special, someone deserving of it.

"What makes you think that?" Emily furrowed her brows.

"It's stupid really," Penelope mumbled. "I think this relationship is cursed."

"You're joking right?" Emily snorted.

"No! I'm serious, not even more that a month into Louis and I dating and we broke up for like a week because I thought he cheated on me." Penelope blurted. "Which in hindsight could've been avoided, had we just not gotten together at all? Then Lizzie fucking Becker wouldn't hate me and Louis and I would just be back to being friends again. It feels like things were better that way anyways, I broke his heart thinking he would do something as low as cheating. And being the angel he is, he forgave me. I wouldn't forgive me. Even after we moved past all of that, I still have this feeling like something else will come up."

Emily was starstruck with her mouth slightly agape. Why was she starting to feel bad? Maybe Penelope didn't deserve this.