Bite the Bullet Chp14

Warning: Everything in this chapter is my imagination. I would like to thank you all for reading and commenting on my story. I am sorry for the long post things were busy and I had my thoughts mixed up regarding this chapter so I am sorry.

Don't forget to VOTE and off course COMMENT

 __________________________________________________________

~ For love of country they accepted death...~

"Stop this shit man," I barked, struggling to hold a wild, pissed off Siwon who was trying to make minced meat of a refugee.

"Let go Blade. Let me teach this dipshit a lesson," Siwon hollered pushing on my hands, but I was faster and stronger.

"Hassan, Hassan, get that idiot out of here," I shouted over Siwon's shoulder to Hassan who was holding the refugee from coming at Siwon.

This guy has totally lost the little bit part of his brain, accusing us soldiers that we have them as hostages and will eventually kill them like the bastards who destroyed their houses and families. We had found them arguing, this dumbass with another refugee. The other guy was trying to talk some sense into him but he was unbelievably blind. He had launched a grenade of curses at us when Siwon and I were passing by. Hassan was already at the scene trying to put out the fire but failed.

"You blood-sucking leeches," I heard him yell, a frown made it's way on my face. That second, my grip loosened around Siwon, seeing that as a chance he leaped like a Cheetah on a Deer, then delivered a nose-breaking punch in return, He got one on the faceSHIT!

Before anyone from the crowd around us could scream I threw myself between them and pushed Siwon back, he was bigger and more hard to restrain. A wave of pain traveled through my jaw and shook my gums burning my face despite the freezing cold around us. This idiot has no idea where to swing his fist.

"Siwon! Stop, asshole! you're hitting me!" I grabbed his left hand and twisted it on purpose, he growled and threw me backward so that my body collided with the man he was fighting. So this was his aim throw me like a football towards the goal.

I clenched my jaw, it burst in flames of pain, ignoring it I threw myself at Siwon yet again, anger and annoyance visible on my face, grabbed his hands, and in a swift moment pinned them behind him. "Stop it now or I swear to God I'll kick you in the ass," I ordered in my deep, angry voice. Looking at Hassan, who understood, nodded and dragged the unlucky bastard away from us.

I let Siwon cool down, then slowly let go of his wrists, and came around to face him. "That was stupid," I blamed, breathing rapidly. Siwon averted his gaze and snorted in rage. I rolled my eyes at his lack of control over himself.

"What are you all looking at? Go do your work! " Siwon ordered the crowd around us, he exhaled and walked away.

I stood there for a few minutes and was turning to go. "Soldier," called a voice and I inhaled, turning around to see Avalina standing a few feet away from me, there was a look in her eyes, a look I couldn't understand. I walked up to her clicking my jaw, which hurt pretty bad. Approaching her I saw her eyes looking at me, worried.

"That was insane, he hit you pretty hard, are you okay?" Concern oozed from her tone. I flinched because she'd hurt my pride, and my ego and laughed at how she thought a  punch could hurt me that much.

" I have a name, you know," I teased, raising an eyebrow. She blushed then dropped her gaze.

Looking at the light pink color burning in her soft cheeks my smile widened. My thoughts went back to the time we came back from the woods. Avalina was opening up to me, talking, smiling asking anything in which I could have helped her. "I thought you would hit that stupid man," Avalina broke the silence between us. I laughed again, suddenly I was laughing a lot.

"Yes, maybe it was just his lucky day today," I said tilting my head to one side. She supressed a smile. I watched as she rocked back and forth on her heels and after a moment's thought she said; "I don't know why can't they see it, you all are helping us in every way you can," she commented, angrily.

"Some people have greater fear than gratitude," was my reply. She stared at me for a while and I bit the walls of my cheeks. Damn, she had no idea what her gaze was doing to me.

Distract yourself. 

I looked around for distraction and soon found one looking at the chickens who were stirring, scratching in the dirt for breakfast. At a little girl's approach, they cluck and flutter away.

"How's everything with Fiona?" I once again looked at Avalina as my emotions settled down.

"It's going great, I learned a lot of stuff from her," she offered a smile which made the sun a little dimmer in comparison.

"Seems like fun," I joked, she wrinkled her nose.

"Sort of," and agreed then looked over her shoulder and then back at me. Her eyes were apologetic and I knew what she meant." I am sorry I have to go now, Aden is waiting for me, " her tone was reluctant. I held myself from growling. How I wished to spend time with her and when I could, either Aden or some other shit would come up.

"I'll see you around then, take care," were my last words then she turned and walked to where the little dumbass stood waiting for her. With a sigh, I once again started my patrolling and was going out of my mind. But I knew I couldn't let my mood, and anger come between me and my duty. Protecting the refugees came first even before my life, no matter what went wrong with my life I had to put it aside while doing what I was ordered to do.

**

Days were flowing like sand from hands. The rain had flooded the refugee camp, damaging them. Everyday, we soldiers would make our way in the flooded water to the tents and help the men remove the water and mud from their tents. upon seeing us, little boys and girls would come to help us. Women would light a diesel heater inside their tents to protect themselves from the cold.

I had not seen Avalina since the day I got my jaw hurt. Whenever I went in the medical tent to see her, I would fail greatly. Only a glimpse of those velvet hair would pass by and she won't look at me because of the patients around her. I noticed something with my unique observing skills that Avalina was getting thinner, looked exhausted and paler every time I saw her just for seconds.

Not being able to see her and talk to her devastated me. Devastation that turned into frustration and soon anger would be starting to burn in my blood. Anger on how that situation affects me. How was this possible that not seeing her affects me this much? I knew I like her but what the hell is this?

Yet another week had passed. One evening, after giving the people their foods. Some of the soldiers, along with me went to help some refugees dig graves for the victims and the ones who couldn't fight their wounds. Several were dying everyday but thankfully their was no virus in the air.

Returning back from the graveyard; on the other end of the camp. I was looking down having trouble breathing. We kept passing people but that's when Hassan nudged me in the elbow. I looked up at him in question, he pointed towards our right and I looked. She was standing there waiting. Hassan then left saying he had some other work to do then I walked up to her.

I saw Aden standing few feet away, thankfully away from earshot, this kid really ticks me off. Avalina smiled at my approach and I couldn't take my eyes off of her, her smile opened my heart like the sunflower blossoming under the sun.

"How are you?" She asked, confidently not that shy.

"I am better...Now," was my true reply for her, and surprisingly she laughed and I couldn't help but stare at her, her voice rang in my ears like bells. God I was loosing my brain.

"I saw you at the Medic tent the other day," Yeah right! Thank God she even noticed."It's hectic there. I am sorry I didn't have the time to see you.." she sighed. Was she really apologizing for not meeting me? Don't know why but that felt good.

"I understand," I smiled, "Duty comes first," I told her and was about to say something else when a horrific sound tore the air and the earth beneath our feet shook with such force that it felt like being hit by an earthquake, a strong one. The wave of high pressure that spread out caused shock all over my body, before I could realize what was happening. Avalina screamed, with her hands covering her ears and fell down on the ground in front of me.

I quickly grabbed her wrists and rose her, she was still screaming, then looked up at Aden who was crying as well, "Aden, get her out of here."I yelled to the young terrified boy. "NOW!" was all I could manage to say to the boy and then I ran towards it, towards the yellow flash almost a kilometer away from where we stood. I could see the huge sheet of fire, my throat went dry as I kept running with everything I got. We were attacked!

When I reached the place, it was just like a living hell. A big fire, like a tornado of fire was spreading over the ground burning everything in it's path. I stared at it for a few minutes that's when the cries of people for help for their mothers distracted me from the growing fire. I looked around and another wave of shock took over me by seeing everything destroyed, there was no sign of tents, nothing, only dust and fire could be seen.

I looked down at the ground and felt horrible, like someone had cut my heart into pieces, looking at it, looking at the people who were killed almost instantly, their bodies were in bits, the ones who were still intact with their bodies, their finger tips caught on fire and the fire gradually spread over their entire body. It was most painful to witness that those fingers that held babies, or turned pages, they'd just burned away. Red soil and dirt was now covering me, as my eyes looked around to see the car windows shattered and burning just like the fire, engulfing everything around us. Us!

I felt my body was burning, and couldn't breath well at all. I was still in shock and unable to move from my place, sweat trickling down my forehead and soaking my shirt. My eyes fells up a little baby, covered with red soil, and blood. Hot tears rushing down from his eyes, looking around with wide eyes. I marched towards him. The kid was hurt. I could see his right leg was the victim of the bomb that blasted here. I carefully grabbed the little kid in my hands, looking around for help. Then I saw the other soldiers running past me, yelling orders, ignoring the blood and flesh on their feet. I blinked my eyes twice and stepped toward the nurses and handed them the boy.

That's when things were in blur, soldiers helped put out the fire, which took us till midnight, while the female soldiers helped the injured people from there towards the medical tent. Some refugees were collecting the human flesh in huge plastic body bags ignoring the dirty, heavy rain and the yells around them.

I was on the scene for the night and the next day. There were a lot of things needed to be done. There was no time for me to get some rest and I didn't complain at all. I was glad they didn't let me rest because laying on that small cot and thinking about what happened yesterday, about my team, maybe they are dead and here I am living. Alive, not there fighting avenging them. I had no intention of sleeping and clearing my head because I knew once I wake up it'll be worse.

So this was what I needed I worked all day and would loved to keep going on the next day 'second day of my fifth week' but Lieutenant had ordered me to get some sleep. I didn't go to sleep right away because there were some patients who were brought here and their chances to live were critical. The doctors didn't even have time to breath, it got worse with time, everywhere I looked in the medical tent it was flooded with blood. Fiona and Avalina were running around for hours, helping them and trying to save their lives.

I leaned back on the couch in the tent where I usually rest. I had only three hours to rest. I looked up staring in the space and lost in thoughts. I should have a chat with Maya, she would like that and I might be able to think about something else other than mourning. I sighed.

The flap of the tent opened, I looked towards it to see Avalina standing there. I was well aware of my eyes going wide with shock. What was she doing here? Has something happened again? And was about to stand up when she walked in with small steps clearly nervous. My heart trashed in my chest.  She looked at me innocently and stopped where I sat glued to the couch. I saw dark circles around her red and puffy eyes, her clothes had blood on them, her hands were dirty and dry. The river-like hair were tied in a messy ponytail and I knew how freaking tired she was.

Avalina sat next to me, wearing the shirt I had given her days ago. We sat like that for a while loving the warm tent and the silence here. Then she took off her shoes, her feet were swollen and the toes were bloody. She turned her body to the left so that she was facing me and I turned my head right to look back at her that's when I saw her teeth clattering. "Avalina you are freezing," I said almost giving away the pain in my voice, it killed me seeing her like this. Quickly I grabbed the blanket on my right and handed it to her. "I heard you were unhappy," she murmured. I almost smiled at her voice, so soft. We both knew we didn't want to talk about what had happened yesterday the memories are still haunting us.

"And why am I unhappy?" I asked in a low voice looking in her bewitching eyes.

"I heard Fiona say you don't like to patrol here in the refugee camp," Avalina explained, disappointment in her eyes and she was getting tired every minute.

"Fiona is right. I came here to fight them not to patrol, it's been four weeks. I am here because of the wound I had and my punishment and will be here till the team comes back," I told her looking past her now. She simply hummed in reply..

But," I began once again meeting her green eyes. "There is a special reason I like it here, believe it or not I actually wait for the sun to peek over the mountains," and added with a smile.

"Really? What's that special reason?" Avalina questioned, turning a bit more so that she was sitting on the edge of the couch.

"You really want to know?" I teased smirking. 

"Yeah I do," she nodded her head continuously.

"I think you already know Avalina," I hinted enjoying where this was going.

"I do?" She frowned still not getting it that it was her, only her I had managed to like this duty. It was her, the innocent Avalina who gave me peace in war time. Everyday just by having her around blossomed foreign feelings in my heart.

I laughed. "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask away," now she was curious.

"How old are you, Avalina? She smiled.

"Three months ago I turned nineteen. What about you?" her eyes watched me.

"Aaa recently I just turned twenty seven," her smile turned into a grin.

"Now tell me what makes it special for you?" She reminded me of the topic I tried to change a minute ago. Guess it's time to let her know how I feel just a little bit.

"You know, Avalina," I said looking deep in her eyes. Understanding drawn to her. Her eyes widen a blush creeped onto her face. She dropped her gaze and I chuckled resting my head on the couch.The blush on her cheeks gave her an innocent look that tugged at a protective instinct deep inside me.

A few seconds passed and I still had the smile on my lips when she was not looking at me. "What about your family?" Avalina asked trying to change the atmosphere.

"They are fine. I have a sister named Maya. She is a year older than you," I replied.

"Do you miss them?" She shot another question in a whisper. I barely heard it.

"Yeah, especially Maya," I kept going on then at once realizing Avalina had tears in her eyes. Holy shit. I hurt her without having any darn idea about it.

I sat straight, turned so that now I was facing her as well. "Avalina please don't cry, anything but your tears, please don't kill me, every tear you shed each time I'll die," my begging voice was deep and soft. I grabbed her tiny and delicate hands in mine.

"The little girl they killed she was my niece. They killed papa, mama and Anie. I told them to run but Papa disagreed he wanted to hold them off but they shot him in front of me, they killed them all. I remember their yells, the agony which pleaded from their eyes yet those monsters laughed, laughed while killing my little niece," sobs racked her body.

"Avalina you saw what we did, they are dead, we took your revenge," I consoled her or at least tried. She gave a short nod and opened her eyes.

"I don't know what happened to their bodies," she sniffed looking at me like she was lost, desperate, her lips trembling.

"We couldn't do anything, it was dangerous to stay there more than ten minutes. I am so sorry," I apologized. Her eyes reminded me of the day I had seen her the first time, scared.

"It's not your fault. I-I just miss them a lot," her voice quivered, slowly as though unconsciously she rested her head on my shoulder and I froze. Her being so near felt right, felt perfect. I was frozen in my place as she shed more salty tears. I couldn't dare rest my hand on her shoulder. Sure I wanted to, but man I couldn't. 

After few minutes I noticed her breathing became slow so I turned to look at Avalina she was sleeping on my shoulder, her eyes closed, lips parted slightly. I have been dreaming about her since I was twenty, everyday wished to meet her, the one I would fall for and here she was, so close to me.

She squirmed hugging my arm and a strand of her hair fell on face disturbing my view. Reaching up I removed it from her face with the tips of my two fingers and on purpose let them linger quietly on her creamy skin. Minutes passed in peaceful silence then I closed my eyes and dozed off.........  
**

All my life I never had a sleep like this, even though I was sleeping on the couch with my back aching a little. I opened my eyes, grunted blinking few times then felt something on my right thigh. Rubbing my eyes I looked down a smile, a true smile spread on my lips. Avalina's head was resting on my thigh, fast asleep. She looked truly beautiful with her eyes closed and lips in a pout, so innocent that it hurt my heart. Will I ever have her? Does she share the same feelings I do? Or it's just because I am protecting her?

The flap of the tent opened and I tensed, clenching my fist thinking about an excuse. But to my surprise it was Fiona who walked in then stopped in her track looking at us with shock in her eyes. Oh shit. Two seasons I didn't want her to know about Avalina. First, this might get me in trouble with Colonel. Second Fiona is a little protective of her so this might not be a good thing.

It was a relief to see her crack a smile. I relaxed putting my finger on my lips. Fiona nodded the slowly walked where we were, mouthing a girly "aww" Damn girls!

"Blade, Oh my God!," she whispered her eyes twinkling. I rolled my eyes and shook my head in 'No'

"You like her?" Fiona inquired near my ear. I didn't reply for few seconds then smiled. Trust me denying it was hard and wrong so I flashed her a smile that explained everything. She literally clapped her hands in excitement. Both Fiona and I looked at the girl. The doctor was shocked I knew that then again Fiona was a sister to me and I knew she would want me to be happy no matter what.

Minutes later Fiona tapped her watch, reminding me I had to patrol again. I gave a nod with the last smile and a sisterly pat on my shoulder she left the tent. I once again caressed Avalina's cheek with my thumb. Where will this end up? What do we name our relation? Will she accept me? I sighed through my nose as anxiety throbbed in my heart and decided it's time to come out of fantasy and jump in the horrifying reality.

"Avalina, wake up," I gently shook her shoulder. A sleepy moan escaped her lips as her eyes opened, almost five seconds passed she sat bolt straight, looking at me ashamed. Avalina flattered her eyelashes looking at my thigh then back at me.

"I-I," and shuttered turning red. I couldn't help but laugh at her unique expression.

"You fell asleep, I didn't want to wake you up so I slept as well," I informed her, pushing myself off of the couch, grabbed her hands and stood her up. Avalina still didn't meet my gaze.

"I am sorry," she murmured an apology. I smiled, which I do a lot around her.

"Don't say that, man, I didn't have a rest like that in days," I replied, grabbing my rifle and slung it over my shoulder. Then taking hold of my pistol I stuck it in the waistband of my combat pant.

"Why? you don't sleep?" She demanded concerned.

"I do get rest but not as peaceful like the one I had few minutes ago," I told her wearing my cap. She nodded thinking about something. Probably thinking how to help me but she doesn't know she already has.

"Come here," I ordered. She took a small, shy step towards me and my heart raced. Avalina was doing it on her own no one was pushing her!

I was tall so she reached my chest. I placed a soft kiss on her forehead leaving my lips there for a while, aware of her tense body and my dry throat. This was my first step towards our relationship, she has opened a door of her fragile heart for me a little all I have to do is to enter and make her heart mine like she has mine in her hands.

Pulling away I looked down in her eyes then whispered," Take care," with that left the tent well aware of her flushed cheeks.

 _____________________________________________________

SOOOOOOOOOOOO tell me what do you think?