Bite the Bullet Chp12

Warning: Everything in this chapter is my imagination.

____________________________________________________________

 The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example. 

"Avalina, I need help here," I begged her. "Avalina, look at me," once again I tried, while my hands put pressure on the girls shoulder.

Avalina did not listen to me, damn it. I knew damn well that I would regret doing this but that had to be done. I gritted my teeth and once again looked at the stunned girl, who like a ghost in front of me.

"Avalina! Wake up and look at me, God damn it!" I raised my voice, which was deep and held anger and frustration in it that seem to snap her out of her misery. She looked at me as tears burned her beautiful eyes.

"I-I can't do this," Avalina whispered in a shaky voice, taking a small step back. My annoyance vanished like clouds when the sun shins. Her tears swallowed me in their hurricane and yet again I was desperate. This situation is already too hard; her break down will make it hell for me.

"Avalina, you are here to help this girl. If you pull back now and panic she can die, so please stay strong. Stay strong for me. I need your assistance here," I apprised. Sitting on the ground, which was a mixture of mud and blood.

"I-I," She stuttered, her lip trembling and it hurt me more than the bullet that pierced my hand weeks ago.

"Avalina, snap out of it," I barked roughly, feeling the blood of the little girl on my fingers. She nodded unsure then squatted next to the girl. There were tears in her eyes as they were looking down at the girl drenched in red water.

With that we started nursing the girl. Halfway through the treatment, and to my relief, Fiona came and she took over, with Avalina helping her. I took out my gloves, threw them in the trash, grabbed my rifle and stood a feet or two away from them, scanning every inch of the woods with the intensity of a hawk searching for it's prey. All thoughts of Avalina vanished from my mind once I got into patrolling mood.

Half an hour passed Fiona was giving her best to the little girl. At last they put the girls head on a bundle of clothes and Fiona ran to help other people.

**

My blood flared in my veins at the news. Apparently something more serious had happened which had caused the medical teams delay.  Upon hearing the news the soldiers helped me fix the tents which thankfully were not burnt. We brought the six critical patients in the tents, while others, who had some minor injuries, were sitting around the roaring fire (which Dimitri and Siwon had put on) along with the doctors. The dead bodies were long gone, hidden in body bags, and there were only twelve people who were saved from this doomed fate.

It was freezing out here with the winter day; the sun was eager to set earlier, now it was 15:00 pm. While three other soldiers and myself stood around the doctors, looking out for danger. The doctors had taken care of the water and food for the patients. Some were terrified and needed the support the ladies were giving them, taking care of them in any way possible.

This shit was extremely dangerous. I sniffed and clicked my dried lips, getting annoyed with every passing second. That's when my anger got the best of me and I growled, all my fellows turned to look at me. "This shit is insane," I spat. The three men walked towards me and stopped a feet away and were all ears.

"Whaz up?" Hassan asked, frowning.

"If we keep the already dying patients here, I don't think they will live. This cold is taking the best out of us." My voice was deep with anger.

"But, Blade, the medical team isn't here yet," Siwon stated the already known fact.

I sighed. "I know my man, but this can't keep on going," was my reply.

"Then what do you suggest?" Dimitri's thick voice made me look at him.

"We have two Jeeps and four soldiers, so I suggest we at least take four back to the camp. Me and Hassan will remain here, while you both drive back to the camp," I suggested. They looked at each other for a while.

"That's risky," Siown pointed out.

"Aren't we already putting our life in risk?" I asked, narrowing my eyes a bit, he sighed and I kept talking. "Look, we have to make a move. The orders were to stay here but we can't."

"I think it's a Jim-dandy idea," Hassan agreed.

"You have a point, and besides, when the team gets here I don't think anyone will have survived the cold," Dimitri agreed.

"Okay, how many patients can one Jeep carry?" Siwon questioned.

"Two," was Hassan's reply and I nodded.

"Then let's wrap up and get moving gentlemen," I encouraged.

 It took us ten minutes to carefully help the patients in the Jeeps. When the four injured men were in the Jeeps they set off towards the camp. I knew they were going to be long rides, as both drivers were to drive slowly for the sake of the people in the Jeep. Now we had only one man who was resting in the tent, with other people who couldn't take the cold and had gone into the tent for warmth.

It was cold, freaking cold, but my brows had beads of sweat on them from nervousness and anxiety. Any minute, any second from anywhere they can appear and kill us all-and hell, Hassan and I won't be able to hold them back. I was regretting it, regretting why the doctors were here, but they had to be, for the people who needed them.

I paced back and forth looking around as the sun was fading behind the mountains to welcome yet another part of the world. The wind made the trees dance with them and the chirping of crickets welcomed the cold night. Hassan was giving the patients foods, some chocolate, crackers and jam. We had made sure they would eat something; they needed to eat and so did the doctors. They were both our responsibility. If anything were to happen to them we were in trouble. If anything happened to Avalina I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive myself...

When Hassan was done taking care of the people he stood next to me. I at last stole a glance at Avalina, to see Fiona holding her hand, and saying something to her. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about and didn't want to. I watched as Avalina gave the chocolate in her hand to a woman, who was healthier and needed more to eat which left Avalina with nothing.

"Man, looks like you have ants in your pants," Hassan said, not looking at me. I snorted.

"Oh, hell I do," I spat bringing my rifle closer to my chest. Hassan nodded and walked around to check on other things. My attention was drawn to Fiona as she stood up and checked on the people around her, leaving Avalina completely alone and a bit far away from others. I inhaled.

Slowly making my way where she sat her head bowed, and hand clasped together. I stopped on her right side, squatted down. Avalina looked up at me, her eyes narrowed a bit in a damn cute way. Not taking my eyes off of her, I took out my gloves, which were warm, then grabbed her hands.

"W-what are you doing?" Avalina questioned frowning.

"Just trust me, I am not going to hurt you," I told her softly and slipped the gloves onto her soft, small hands.

"I know you won't hurt me," Avalina whispered. A lopsided smile made its way on my lips at her innocent comment. She didn't know how much it meant to me hearing her say that. Trust has more strength than love. It's important for a person to trust me in order to have positive feelings.

"This will keep you warm." I said in a low voice, as her eyes widened. Avalina looked between her hands then at me. I sat down, then opened my backpack and grabbed the only chocolate bar I had for dinner.

"Eat this," I stretched my hand to show her the chocolate.

"You don't have to do this," Avalina protested in a soft voice.

"Yes, I do. Here, have it," I pressed handing her the bar. She closed her fist around it, then passed me a small smile and my heart leaped.

"Thank you,"

"Anytime Ma'am," I replied, reading her face for a while to make sure if she was alright. I sat in front of her and crossed my legs.

"When will they come back?" Avalina murmured. I knew she was asking about the soldiers.

"I don't know. Hope it's sooner than we think," I admitted as I rubbed my hands together. Silence lapsed between us in which I looked around. Then, from the corner of my eyes, I found Avalina closing her hands and opening them again.

"You know you did well today," I spoke, breaking the silence. Avalina looked at me confused, then sighed.

"I didn't do that well, I froze" was her sad reply as a frown made its way on her beautiful face. I got what she was referring to and shook my head, looking her in those eyes which lead my world into different paths. I kept staring at her knowing. If Troy saw my face, the emotions I was displaying would give away my feelings for the girl sitting in front of me.

"No. You didn't freeze. You did amazing for someone who has been through a lot recently and this happens with everyone, so you don't worry about it," I encouraged her, folding my arm over my chest to give them some warmth.

"I-I couldn't help her, seeing that girl I panicked," Avalina said sadly, biting her lip and looking at the roaring fire. But I only looked at her, aware of what she was talking about. I had nothing to tell her, my words won't do justice to what she had experienced or lost so I stayed silent.

Few seconds passed then I asked: "Are you okay?" A cold wind danced around us and I saw Avalina shiver then give a short nod to answer my question. We men know that when a sad or crying woman says she is okay they are not. Avalina shivered again and I mentally cursed for not bringing a jacket with me or something else to protect her from the deadly cold.

"You should eat, you must be starving," I reminded her of the chocolate bar in her hand which she seem to have forgotten about. She raised her head and looked at me and my breath caught in my throat from the emotion that ran in them; her green eyes were pouring out the feelings her heart caged. And there was something else, something I was unfamiliar with. What could that be?

At this moment I wished nothing else but to make her happy. I was ready to give up everything for her, anything to make her safe and I knew... hell, I knew I could even die for her.

"What about you? Have you eaten?" She inquired in a small, soft voice, clicking her dry lips and I gulped.

"I will manage," I replied with a small smile and stood up, trying to calm my racing heart in my chest. Holy shit Blade, you are falling for her.

Rubbing my chin I walked around and stood behind Avalina. I knew she was freezing; her hands were red but she said nothing. Other doctors had brought long dusters with them, but Avalina, she had nothing. Yes, my shirt was long but it wouldn't stop her from turning into an ice. I was thinking of giving her my gloves not a few hours ago but had not seen her alone. Now I was satisfied.

With a final glance at her, I started with my patrolling again.

 _____________________________________________________________

 I am done with the chapter hope you liked it. Sorry for the long wait I was really busy and a little lazy lol Soooooo tell me what you think in your comments.