Chapter 7: What part of 'stole it' do you not understand?

You gloomily walked throughout the town, keeping your head down low and frowning. It way different from your usual aura. Your brow suddenly furrowed, though, spotting something from the corner of your eye. There was Falco, hanging out with that suspicious man you saw the other day. The two of them were sitting on a bench in the local hospital, chatting to each other. Due to being pretty far away, you were only able to see their lips moving, but not the sound coming out of them.

You continued to watch the two from a distance, keeping mental notes on every move they made. They continued to talk, Falco wearing a bright smile on his face while doing so, until the man searched for something in his pocket. He pulled out a beige-coloured envelope, handing it to the smaller boy. Falco gave him a thumbs up, taking the item from him and happily striding away.

Finally, you decided to approach Falco, trailing behind him while he was walking to the post office. When you put your hand on his shoulder, he was startled.

"Hey, Falco. What are you doing? " You asked, pretending as if you weren't watching him a minute ago.

"I'm going on a walk," he replied, giving you an awkward chuckle and smiling.

"A walk? At this time? Wow, you really are persistent. "You patted his shoulder and laughed.

"Uh.. yeah. Anyways, what are you doing? "

"Going home. I just went to the post. It seems like you are too, "you uttered, pointing to the building he was heading towards.

"I'm not, I swear! It's just.. well, I'm walking near it. " Falco's brow was sweating and his speech became less fluent and flowing. He was getting more nervous by the second, trying to mask it all with an innocent grin.

"I saw you hanging out with that man."

"Really?"

"Don't hang out with people like that. They probably love young boys like you, "you said, rolling your eyes and walking away. There was a hint of firmness in your voice too, though. Of course, you wanted him to be safe.

Falco stayed silent, looking away due to being uncomfortable. The two of you were parting ways, walking in different directions. You then noticed the letter in Falco's back pocket, and you checked around to make sure nobody was watching you. While he was distracted, you quickly grabbed the letter from him, hiding it in your bag.

"I was joking, by the way. You're fine, just be a bit careful. I trust you. "

Falco's eyes lit up as you spoke those words, being happy that you weren't too suspicious of him.

Little did he know, you were aware of what he was doing, and only said that to get on his good side. After all, if he found out somebody stole his letter, you would be less likely to be the first suspect.

You waved to Falco before leaving, making him return a bright grin.

You pulled out the letter as you walked back to Gabi's house, examining the front of the envelope. Reading the very messy writing, you knew it was addressed to somebody by the name of Hange Zoe. It also had a specific address on it, but you didn't pay much attention to that.

You continued to stare at it, not noticing the person who was right beside you.

"Hey."

You turned to your side and saw Udo, who didn't have his glasses on. Shoving the letter in your pocket, you directed your attention back to the boy.

"I lost my glasses. By any chance, do you know where they are? " He asked, slightly fidgeting with his hands.

"No clue. You probably left them in your bag or something, "you shortly replied, wanting to get to the house as soon as possible.