Chapter 14: I'm feeling absolutely amazing

The prior grin drawn on your face had already disappeared, being replaced by a look of total confusion. You were previously distracted, but not too spaced out to not hear the faint sounds that came near you. For a split second, you noticed how the voice sounded awfully familiar, and wondered who it could be. You weren't stupid, of course, and would've guessed the obvious answer by now. It took you a few moments, though, probably due to the strong sense of drowsiness you felt. All of these symptoms started to take hold of you, either from running or nervousness, making you weaker by the minute. Your head felt like it was spinning in short, repetitive circles, which caused a lot of strength to even stand up straight. You couldn't see properly either, and even the best pair of glasses wouldn't improve your horrible eyesight.

Glasses.. Why does that word give me such a strong sense of déjà vu?

Your eyes lit up, but not from excitement. It was pure horror. Somehow, you suddenly felt better, regaining your vision and catching your balance. You didn't care, though, because now, you were facing a much larger problem. One that made your blood run cold.

There was Udo, right in your view. He was close, but not close enough for you to reach him. You scanned his whole frame, from his pants, which now had multiple tears and holes in them, to his hair, which had become a total mess. However, once you took sight of Udo's face, you realized how that was the most gut-wrenching part of him. To say the least, Udo looked like he was a cat in a tree. His eyes were fully widened and his mouth went agape. His usual pair of glasses were missing, causing his terrified facial expression to become even more visible.

Beside him were Gabi and Colt, who looked equally frightened. The older man protectively wrapped his arm around Gabi, making sure he wouldn't lose somebody he cared about. She held no objection to his firm grasp, standing frozen in place and having her view fixated on a certain piece of large debris, which was crushed right into the middle of the road. You had no clue what was there, and didn't even bother to look at that moment of time.

"Udo! Get back here, "Colt yelled, a visible crack being present in his voice. Unlike Gabi, Udo was in a complete panic mode, refusing to stay still and being extremely vocal. He tried scrambling away, going to that specific rock, but the only thing stopping him was Colt, who desperately seized onto his wrist. Unfortunately, Udo managed to escape his hold, making his next destination that boulder.

"It hu-hurts... please..."

You had only turned your attention to the debris when you heard a cry of pain coming near it. A gasp of shock escaped your chapped lips, which usually would've been loud enough for the others to hear. Except, in this case, not even the loudest noise could startle them. After all, the blonde-haired girl, who was currently screaming in pain, was a much bigger priority. Her right arm was compressed underneath the stone, immediately getting pulverised by the impact. The rest of her body was thankfully still intact, and she was lying on her back next to the item. Zofia was alive, but a red substance pooled on the ground, indicating the start of her blood loss.

"Stay with me Zofia, don't die," Udo frantically spoke, putting both hands on either side of the rock. He was trying to lift it up, and failed with each attempt. Meanwhile, Colt and Gabi ran off to the side, going to a much safer area. They pleaded for Udo to approach them instead, but he simply ignored them.

Suddenly, you snapped out of your overwhelming thoughts when the faint, nearby sound of footsteps flowed through your eardrums. You could tell they were coming closer with each passing moment, and it sounded like it belonged to multiple people. A feeling of curiosity lit up in your mind, like a match set alight, and made you slightly turn your head around. Then, you observed the large stampede, filled with mortified people who were scurrying in Udo's direction.