Chapter 12: You're actually quite funny

After a good hour of walking with the others, you finally made it to the house, with you and Gabi standing side by side. Everybody else had left to go to their own homes, so it was just you two, alone. You were glad that you had arrived sooner or later, because everybody's interrogating stares greatly intimidated you and Udo. They were probably suspicious as to why it took you both so long to return, but fortunately, you came up with a decent excuse, so they might have believed you.

"Wow, it's already getting super late." You pointed up at the jet-black sky, painted with a variety of luminous balls of gas. You hadn't even realized how long you spent at the festival. After all, it was morning when you arrived.

"Don't forget about the speech tonight, though," Gabi replied, speaking in a firm tone, yet slightly smiling at you. It's a good thing she reminded you, because you almost forgot about the big event. Ironically, it was also one of the constant things on your mind, especially for the last few days.

Both of you went to the front door before Gabi stuffed her hand into her pocket, pulling out two keys instead of the usual one. Your eyes slightly widened, quickly realizing that one of them was probably your key. Suddenly, memories resurfaced, specifically of you accidentally putting the item in her jacket instead of your own. She handed the key to you, giving an annoyed glare in the process.

The two of you entered the house, being met with the usual empty aura. To be honest, it was fairly strange to you how Gabi had two parents, yet they never seemed to be in the house. At times, when Gabi's mom was actually present, she was either sleeping or preparing to leave.

"What's up with your parents? They never seem to be around, "you observed, turning to the brunette. She hesitated for a couple moments before speaking.

"My grandma's kind of sick right now..nobody really knows what she has, but it's kind of critical," Gabi uttered, looking down while wearing a sad expression. "That means my parents have to visit her house often while working extremely hard at their jobs to make money." A few tears rolled down Gabi's cheeks, making her wipe them away with her sleeve.

"I'm sorry, being sick is a pain in the ass." You trudged up to Gabi, loosely hanging your arm around her shoulder and giving her a sympathetic frown. "At least you have some awesome company though, right?" You pointed at yourself, causing her to slightly chuckle.

"That's true," she said, giving you a small smile.

"Perfect! Now go get prepared for the speech, I'm sure you'll look amazing as usual. "

Gabi nodded her head, proceeding to plod up the stairs and go to her room. You watched as she did so, smiling at the girl like a proud parent.

Once she left, you directed your attention to the kitchen, where you had an idea. Opening all the drawers, you searched for as many sharp utensils as you could find. Especially knives.

After you had a decent collection of them, you opened the zipper across your bag, placing the items inside.

You didn't know how many enemies, such as Eren Jaeger and his friends, would attend this speech, so you wanted to have weapons for self defense. It probably wouldn't help you much, though.

Suddenly, remembering the whole window situation, you also took out the remaining amount of money you had left, planting it on the kitchen counter. Hopefully, it would be enough to cover all the bills, and Gabi and her mom wouldn't get too angry at you.

Soon enough, you mimicked Gabi's previous motions, going up the stairs and cursing from rage every time one of your crutches hit the staircase. Fortunately, your legs were getting better. The bruises and scratches were starting to become more and more indistinguishable. Still, though, they weren't fully healed, meaning you would have to wear those stupid things during this extremely important event.